ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Yoga aasan?

Posted by Umkeo Heo 
Yoga aasan?
July 04, 2010 12:56AM
vaaheguru ji ka khalsa vaaheguru ji ki fateh

I was wondering if it's okay to sit in yoga aasan, with both feet on top of your thighs. I tried it today randomly during naam simran and it really helped keep the back straight however I could feel the pain in my legs. That pain was due to the muscles not used to it. I remember one Gursikh one told me that we aren't allowed to sit in such pose so I never tried. But I recently had to take a yoga class for graduation requirement in which I learnt the pose.

I had to cover the feet with hazooria though, because I didn't think it was right with my feet showing in sangat. Please suggest. Is this pose helpful? Do Singhs sit like this?

vaaheguru ji ka khalsa vaaheguru ji ki fateh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Yoga aasan?
July 04, 2010 04:36PM
i can't imagine why it would be wrong to do naam abhiyaas in any position you find beneficial.

gurbani says that yoga aasans by themselves are useless, but if you're doing naam simran while doing it, of course it should be beneficial. it's the naam that matters, not how you're sitting. smiling smiley

(just my opinion, of course)
July 05, 2010 07:03AM
I totally agree with Bhain jee's post above. Its Naam Abhyaas that matters and not the Aasan you sit in, while doing Simran. Gurbani covers all aspects, causes and effects of Naam but does not state any importance to an Aasan while doing Simran. Quite often many people influenced by Vedant and other Hindu practices promote sitting in certain postures to concentrate on Naam but Gurbani says that Naam should be chanted all the time whether you are sitting, lying down, standing, walking, working or not-working.

As far as Gurmat Naam Abhyaas Kamaayee is concerned, all Aasans of Yoga are useless and hold no importance in Gurmat. Some ignorant Sikhs today are giving too much importance to Yoga especially that preached by the Yoga-guru Raamdev. To cure themselves of diseases, they place more faith in his Yogic teachings than Gurbani and Naam. They forget that Sidh-Gosth Baani is totally dedicated to rejecting the Yogic philosophy and proves the supremacy of Gurmat over it.

Guru Sahib Kirpa Karan.

Kulbir Singh
July 05, 2010 07:45PM
Thanks veer ji and bhain ji.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login