ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

book suggestions for those interested in sikhi

Posted by 1kaur 
when i talk to my friends who are born in sikh families, but want to explore the faith more deeply, or who want to be inspired with stories of modern gurmukhs, i usually recommend bhai sahib bhai randhir singh jee's autobiography, rangle sajjan, amrit ki hain, or bhai rama singh jee's autobiography (a huge influence on me).

what about people who are not sikh but are interested to learn more? where to start?

i recently read through a book by nikky gurinder kaur, a PhD professor of religious studies. it's called, Verses of the Sikh Gurus. it includes beautifully poetic english translations of the daily nitnem, including shabad hazare, as well as the laavan, salok m:9, and sukhmani sahib. it is the sigle most readable, understandable and touching translation i have ever read. i think that for those who are interested in sikhi but have no background, this would be a great place to start.
i know that for me, it was an english translation of japji sahib that really touched my heart first. i have read MANY translations, but by far, gurinder kaur's is the most poetic, closest to guru sahib's beautiful poetry, without losing meaning on the way.

for a concise sikh history (especially for beginners), i'd recommend patwant singh's "the sikhs". it seems very accurate and unbiased, without over-glorifying historical figures like raja ranjit singh... enumerating his weaknesses while showing his strength, something many historians gloss over in their reverence for his military tactics.

some controversial books on sikh history (for sikhs who are more familiar with our history) include "siques tigers or thieves" which are european accounts of early sikh history, as well as the persian accounts of sikh history. while both are written by outsiders who are seeing only a small faction of sikhs, it's very interesting to see how their accounts differ from our perception of the sikhs of old. i wouldn't take them as law, as they all have misconceptions (particularly about the lineage of the guru sahiban, the consumption of meat and alcohol, and of banda singh bhahadur being guru) but despite that, especially in the persian sources, there are many glowing and inspirational sakhis of guru sahib. coming from the "enemy", it shows the power guru sahib had over people of every faith.

for people (sikh or not) who misunderstand the necessity of militancy in punjab, i recommend fighting for faith and nation, by cynthia mahmood. it can make anyone understand why sikhs have had to take up arms to defend our very existence, even in modern times. and it would make anyone cry to hear the tales of horror we have faced in our recent past.

cynthia mahmood has also written a short study on young sikh women in the west, called guru's gift. i found it really interesting that for the majority of the girls interviewed, specifically wearing dastaar was extremely important to them in feeling to be a religious sikh. and these are not just girls from jatha families, but from all walks of life. this is such a difference from india, where so many girls are discouraged by their family to accept this blessing... i found it very touching, and it would be a good book to recommend to our sisters who are cautious about tying guru's gift of dastaar,

clearly my list is aimed more at those who are new to sikhi, or sikhs interested in learning more about their faith (like myself).

i would love to hear from gurmukh sangat about other books they have found enlightening or inspirational, or essential to the library of the gursikh.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I think this has become a major problem in Sikhi. Many people come into Sikhi , and they do not have much resources to turn too. Most of the great Gurmat literature books were produced during the Singh Sabha Movement, and all these books are in Punjabi. Unfortunately, there hasnt been much effort in translating these books in English.

The only books in English that I have found which have any spiritual substance is In Search of the True Guru, Sant Niranjan Singh Jis books on GUrmat Discussion which can be located at www.sikhnation.com and translated books of Bhai Randhir Singh Ji. WHen I first got into Sikhi these books were very inspiration as their main focus was on Naam.

Even though it is a problem that many books are not translated in English for the wider public , I do think its important to attempt to read books in Gurmukhi as well. This way ones Gurmukhi vocab increases and beautiful Gurbani becomes more easier to understand. If one doesnt understand a certain word they can just look the word up in the dictionary or MahanKosh.

I am strong advocate for Gurmat based literature to be produced for those who are new to Sikhi. SGPC needs to make a great initiative to hire people to translate ancient works and the Gurmat writings which were written during SIngh Sabha movement from Gurmukhs like Bhai Kahn Singh Ji, Bhai VIr Singh Ji, Bhai Randhir Singh Ji etc. This way we can educate people of the world about our great religion. But my biggest fear is that we will become to dependent on these English works and completely neglect Gurmukhi which is the language Guru Sahib spoke in. Then we will start to understand Sikhi second hand the way Christians understand their religion. Through such a process Tat Gurmat will be watered down.

Besides books I think the best source to direct new comers is sangat. Gurmukh sangat is the best way to learn about Sikhi. Asking Senior SInghs about Sikhi is the best source in learning about GUrbani.
sukhdeep singh veerjee
Besides books I think the best source to direct new comers is sangat. Gurmukh sangat is the best way to learn about Sikhi. Asking Senior SInghs about Sikhi is the best source in learning about GUrbani.

i totally agree with this veerjee... i have learned a LOT about gurmat from gurmukh sangat. i even came into jatha sangat because of the gurmukhs i met.
but i noticed that some gurmukhs have different budh about gurmat, for example dasam bani and other differences i won't get into). i guess everyone understands gurmat issues differently. so i guess unless they're brahmgyani (and how many of use have a chance to get their darshan!), we have to take their advice and compare it to what we understand of gurmat as well.

i suppose "aap aapnee budh hai jetee". applies to everyone. smiling smiley
Personally, I am very much satisfied with Prof. Puran Singh's literature. His, Ten Masters, Spirit Born People, Spirit pf the Sikh, Spirit of Oriental Poetry etc. titles are food of the soul. His former two books are quite good for beginners I think. I have no experience, how the beginners respond to his literature. But he is must read for a Sikh.
I have always recommended reading Bhai Sahib's Jail Chithiaan and Ranglay Sajjan to beginners. For Sikh history I recommend Bhai Sahib Vir Singh jee's Chamatkaars and Principal Satbir Singh jee's 10 volumes on Sikh Guru Sahibaan.

Kulbir Singh
thanks for the suggestions, i'm not familiar with professor puran singh jee's work. has any been translated to english?

OH, i completely forgot to add Raghbir Singh Bir to the list. smiling smiley

Sarb Rog Ka Aukhad Nam, Simran Maihma, and Bandgi Nama are all very good and have been translated to english as as well. i got them on recommendation from the owner of Singh Brothers, Amritsar, and in additional to being beautifully written, they seem very inline with gurmat.

(note, i just saw on singh brothers website that some of Prof. Puran Singh's books have been translated, i guess it's time to put in an order smiling smiley )
Thank you, Bhein Ji, Sukhdeep Singh and Kulbir Singh Veer Ji; for all this valuable information. These books are not accessible to me, at present but I hope I will read these in future.

Regarding Prof. Puran Singh, it must be noted that he has written these books in english itself.
What inspired me to take amrit and dig deep into my sikhi was reading the biography of Pooran Brahmgiani Sant Basant Singh Ji's jeevan. I recommend everyone to read it as I found it amazing!! It's a long read about 490 pages and can be found online at:

http://www.gurdwara.org.uk/gurdwara/media/literature.html

Then click on the launch button for the first option. It dipicts the life of a true premi of waheguru. Enjoy!!!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
What inspired me to take amrit and dig deep into my sikhi was reading the biography of Pooran Brahmgiani Sant Basant Singh Ji's jeevan. I recommend everyone to read it as I found it amazing!! It's a long read about 490 pages and can be found online at:

http://www.gurdwara.org.uk/gurdwara/media/literature.html

Then click on the launch button for the first option. It dipicts the life of a true premi of waheguru. Enjoy!!!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Se Kinehiya, autobiography of Baba Harnaam Singh Rampur Kherrre vale is also a very inspiring book. I read it and its completely in accordance with Gurmat. There is no sant-vaad in it. The book inspires a person to :

1. To do lots of mool mantarr paath
2. To do nitnem and never miss it.
3. To have full faith on Sri Guru Granth Sahib and to stay away from aan-matt sadhu and dehdhari Gurus.
4. The book inspires to live a very simple life. Thats the best thing i liked. Baba jee lived a very simple life. He turned a completely isolated and ujaarr place like Rampur into a Gurmat parchar centre visited by lakhs of people.

Pooran Brahmgiani Sant Basant Singh Ji's jeeva

i hope this isn't an inappropriate question...

but can someone a brahmgiani NOT be pooran? are there "adhay" brahmgiani?
and can someone be a sant and not be brahmgiani? i thought the two words were used equally in gurbani.

i guess what i mean is, why so many titles?

this isn't necessarily specific to this post, it's just something i'm curious about.
Audio book of Se Kinehiya which is the Autobiography of Sant Baba Harnaam Singh...

[www.sikhroots.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login