ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Less is more! (video)

Posted by Akaali 
Less is more! (video)
June 21, 2010 02:49PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6izsZ-tv_V0

OLYMPIA -- Talk about down-sizing! One woman is living in a house that you really have to see to believe.

"It's 84 square feet, so roughly the size of a parking spot. Actually, smaller than a parking spot," says Dee Williams, who decided it was time to move. She was living in a 1,500-square foot home in Portland, but decided the house wasn't small enough - yes, small enough!

Dee built the tiny cabin herself out of salvaged material. She picked the door out of a dumpster and retrieved the floors from a house fire. Dee's new tiny home sits in her friend's backyard.

"In exchange, I do work on their house," she says.

It takes Dee five steps, sometimes four, to get from one end of her house to the other.

"Two steps through the kitchen and you're in my living room. Two steps into the living room, you bang into the wall," Dee says, laughing.

Two solar panels provide electricity. A tiny propane tank allows Dee to cook in her $10,000 home on wheels. Do her friends think the 44-year-old hazardous waste inspector is crazy?

"My friends definitely thought, well, they had some questions for me!" she says.

The obvious question: Why?

The simple answer:

"A simpler life, time, more money. I don't have a mortgage. I don't have a big utility bill," Dee says.

Her monthly heating bill in the winter is $6, less in the summer.

"I'm able to offer money to my family if they need it, (and to) my friends if they need it," says Dee.

To get to her bedroom, she walks up a step ladder to her loft.

"Every night I look at the stars and watch it rain over and over again. So this is it. Not much to it," says Dee.

And that's the point. Not much to it. Simple. Small. A dream house tinier than a parking spot.

"Right now there's nowhere else I want to be!"

Maharaaj says, binaa santokh nahee kou raaje and this woman has understood and grasped the concept comfortably.
It eradicates one's ego and humbles one everyday to wake up and live in such a place, along with that there are so many other benefits.

I loved this and how it relates to gurmat and wanted to share it with the rest of the sangat.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
This is quite inspiring. If we really think of it, our basic needs are not that much. We get stuck in bonds of Maya by buying expensive homes, cars etc.

For this lady, the heating bill in winter is only $6. She works part time and this way has more time for herself. If only she knew about Naam, her life would be perfect.

Kulbir Singh
Wow! thats inspirational.
I hope I can find a wife who has so much santokh. Its tough to find an amritdhari bibi who has this much santokh.
The play of Vaheguru is truly interesting.
Re: Less is more! (video)
June 22, 2010 10:16PM

Wow! thats inspirational.
I hope I can find a wife who has so much santokh. Its tough to find an amritdhari bibi who has this much santokh.
The play of Vaheguru is truly interesting.

Ha Ha, I know many. Amritdhari are mostly with Santokh. smiling smiley
MB Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow! thats inspirational.
> I hope I can find a wife who has so much santokh.
> Its tough to find an amritdhari bibi who has this
> much santokh.
> The play of Vaheguru is truly interesting.
>
> Ha Ha, I know many. Amritdhari are mostly with
> Santokh. smiling smiley

Fine one for me then.
June 23, 2010 04:05PM
Oh Veer Ji, I mean to say , Amritdhari Singh or Singhni are much more Santokhi than the non-Amritdhari. I know many Santokhi Bibian, may be maried. smiling smiley

Santokh also comes with age. So do not make it a precondition for your would-be-wife.

PS: Admin Ji, Kindly help Singhs find Bibis through this website. Veer Mehtab Singh is also one prespective candidate. hot smiley hot smiley
Guru Piyario,

This lady's santokh reminded me following from Gurbani

ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਕਿਆ ਮੇਰਾ ਕਿਆ ਤੇਰਾ ॥ ਜੈਸੇ ਤਰਵਰ ਪੰਖਿ ਬਸੇਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
ਰਾਖਹੁ ਕੰਧ ਉਸਾਰਹੁ ਨੀਵਾਂ ॥ ਸਾਢੇ ਤੀਨਿ ਹਾਥ ਤੇਰੀ ਸੀਵਾਂ ॥੨॥ ...
...ਊਚੇ ਮੰਦਰ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਨਾਰੀ ॥ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨੁ ਬਾਜੀ ਹਾਰੀ ॥੪॥
Panna 659

Guru Sahib kirpa Karan this daas can adopt these Bachan at fullest.

PS: Admin Ji, Kindly help Singhs find Bibis through this website. Veer Mehtab Singh is also one prespective candidate.

Daas second this idea of Bhai Sahib jee and request to admin if possible to add matrimonial type section some where on this site woih some rules and regulations. While this request reaches admin till then enjoy this video:

With Regards,
Daas
Permanent santokh can only come from Naam.
Some santokh can also come if some one realizes that this world is a mountain of smoke. Some one working in a hospital and seeing people dying on daily basis can develop some santokh.
Some santokh can also come previous good santokhi karma.
In the case of this bibi, it seems her santokh is from some good santokhi karma of previous lives. Whether her santokh is permanent or for some time, only time will tell.
Woman Living In A 84 sq foot Home

[www.youtube.com]

Why Build a Small House

[www.youtube.com]
July 02, 2010 11:47AM
What happens when she goes to the bathroom? since the house is so small how does she control the bathroom smell from spreading into the entire house? Maybe the small house does have it's disadvantages.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login