ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Categorization of Topics

Posted by MB Singh 
Categorization of Topics
May 04, 2010 01:08PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

A lot of valuable information is being generated after discussions on this forum. Is it possible that we can categorize all the topics, like the chapters of a book. Though the facility of search is available; yet a reader friendly classification of different topics could help very much. It will avoid repetition of topics.

Minimum repetition and discussion should be the target of this website. That will lead us into positive growth, I think.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Categorization of Topics
May 04, 2010 01:31PM
Veer jee, a lot of posts have been uploaded to Santhiya, Gurmat Bodh and Gurmat Literature Sections of this site. There are close to 250 articles and stories in these 3 sections. Please check it out. Is this what you meant or do you have something more comprehensive in mind? Please advise.

Admin.
Veer Ji

We have about 700 threads at present and with time it may go to 7000. But all these threads do not necessarily have different topics of discussion. e.g. Different aspects of Sarabloh can have more than one thread. Similarly If one asks a question about something being Bibek; that will start a new thread. Possibly, that item could have been discussed in detail an year ago. So, if one is able to see all Bibek subtitles, a repetition can be avoided.

In the uploaded posts in Gurmat Bodh or Santhyia or Literature sections, we can not see all the discussion on the question or topic. It gives only the one important post.
May 04, 2010 02:26PM
It seems like a good idea. Is there an example available on the Net somewhere, of such categorization, so that we may use that as an illustration?

Would it be a separate section, whereby threads would be listed by subject?

Admin
well as far as examples are concerned

one can visit the forum on [www.AKJ.org]

it is categorizes with subtitles like

panthic matters
rehit
general questions
recipies
and much more

you must check it out
if you plan to do something similar with this site

heres a better direct link:-

[akj.org]

so yeah
thats an example

bhul chuk muaaf

vaheguroojeekaakhalsaa vaheguroojeekeefatheh
Exactly so. Threads grouped by subjects. Give a number to the thread, based on the subject.

But sorry, I do not know, if it is there on any site.
May 04, 2010 04:57PM
Thanks for the suggestions Veer jee. We will try to work out something with respect to this.

Admin.
Sorry, I actually like this forum the way it is going right now. If we do categorize, please do not to it the way that it is done on other forums.
I agree with Sukhdev Singh Veer Ji, the present Message Board is quite OK. It need not be complicated.

But, the categories will be used only to make it easy to see the old discussions. If the user wants to have a glimpse of all the topics, grouping may help.

As suggested by Tanvir Singh Ji, AKJ.org has 9 categories. Something is better than nothing. But further in that, we have about 2000 topics in General Discussion. That is again a jungle. Why not further categories in it. Moreover, these categories are decided by the user who starts the topic. The user may decide eitherway. Panthic matters could be discussed in General Discussion.

I think categories will help to make old discussions more accessible and thus useful. Gurmat discussions, have almost similar subjects, with every generation. A new comer to the board, never bothers to know; which topics were already discussed, 2 or 3 months back.

Anyway, AAP DI BOHUT KIRPA HAI JEE, ITNI SEWA PEHLE HI KAR RAHE HO JI.
I agree with MB Veer Ji this is an excellent idea . By categorizing topics its more easier for people to find the topics that interest them most. Some people like santhiya, others history or inspiration , and some like veechar or have general questions about rehat/Sikhi.
May 04, 2010 07:33PM
What seems like a feasible thing to do at this time is to create a separate page on this site where useful threads would be collected based on subject. As an example:

Bibek
link
link
link

Keski
link
link
link

Satguru
link
link
link

So if someone has a question on a certain subject, they can refer to this index.

Regarding splitting the message board into different categories, at this time, there is no clear consensus amongst the users. Some want it and some don't. So let's postpone this for the time being.

Admin.

Admin jeeo

Daas is also not in favour of splitting the forum. Generally what happens is that moorakh like daas tend to just look at the top most category which is general as most visitors tend to post there. If you see other forums e.g. Sikh sangat, AKJ etc. the admins end up moving posts from one section to other because of relevance.

But also as MB Singh veer has pointed out there should be some better way of searching for archives. Is it possible to add a category field to the post. Where the message poster can select the relevant category/(ies) for the post. This was in the search functionality you can add the flags for categories. So if lets say daas wants to search for anything relating to Sakhi, daas will tick the option of sakhi from category in search functionality.

Also it may be worth adding a standard message to the New Post functionality requesting the person who is posting a New thread to first search for archives to avoid duplicacy.

Bhul chuk di khima da jaachak

Sangat jio, I am also not in favour of the forum being split up in any form. Please leave this forum as it is. It is so easy to read, search and follow. The best thing about this site is it's simplicity along with the productive discussions.

I am highly in favour of the suggestion by the Admin of gathering threads into headings and placing them on a different section of this site. That is ideal and won't upset the forum structure at present. I humbly submit this.
I like Akaal Jee's veechar

That way everything is posted in the same forum, but it will have a little thing saying what the topic is about. For example it will say sakhi or poem ect. So someone who is looking for a certain sakhi can search for sakhi, and every sakhi will come up.
May 05, 2010 07:36AM
Akaal74,

We like your suggestions and will forward them to our Tech person to see if they can be implemented. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Admin
Also , when one is about to post he should have options(drop down List) to choose the topic(Bibek,Sakhis, ............) he is posting under so that straight away gets his thread to a particular category.
Chatrik supports the decision to split the forums into 'GURMAT&Rehit' and GENERAL .

Chota veer
admin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What seems like a feasible thing to do at this
> time is to create a separate page on this site
> where useful threads would be collected based on
> subject. As an example:
>
> Bibek
> link
> link
> link
>
> Keski
> link
> link
> link
>
> Satguru
> link
> link
> link
>
> So if someone has a question on a certain subject,
> they can refer to this index.
>
>
>
> Admin.

Dass agrees with the idea of this index, please do not split the board up. It would good to go ahead we this index now.
I too like this index idea. It will serve the purpose, as a book needs an index in the beginning. It should show not only the link but the title of the topic also. It will not need a technical expert. It will be updated after a defined period of time and will be simply titled e.g. "Overview of Discussion Topics till Mach 2010".

Bhul Chuk Maaf Hove Ji
Daas too agrees with the index idea. A Sewadaar has taken up the sewa to organize an index of selected topics. Then we can continue to update the index, perhaps once a week, and as the messages flow in.

Kulbir Singh
May 06, 2010 07:54AM
The index of subjects has been added as a sticky here. Please check it out:

[gurmatbibek.com]

The subjects still have to be sorted alphabetically. It's still work-in-process. Many more subjects need to be added.

Admin
brilliant!! i love this site! smiling smiley
That is excellant. I never knew many of the topics, which were discussed here. Now, I can see all those. There will always be a scope for adding new subject titles or revising the old titles, so that each subject list does not get long enough. If the title of the subject, was possible too alongwith the link, that had been wonderful. Even then, no problem, it looks clean and pretty.

Bohut Kirpa Ho Gaiee Ji, AAP DA BOHUT BOHUT DHANWAAD.
Admin Sahib, I was going to start a new topic but it's not that big a deal. I wanted to ask if we could fix the Quote button on messages, so that it comes up in the neat quote boxes for example:

Kulbir Singh
Daas too agrees with the index idea.

Vaheguru
brilliant!! i love this site!smiling smiley

admin
The index of subjects has been added as a sticky here. Please check it out:

Not the way it does currently:

Sukhdeep Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with MB Veer Ji this is an excellent idea
> . By categorizing topics its more easier for
> people to find the topics that interest them most.
> Some people like santhiya, others history or
> inspiration , and some like veechar or have
> general questions about rehat/Sikhi.

Right now we have to do this manually using the [ quote= ] tags would be possible to fix in this on the board and in private messages?
June 22, 2010 08:13AM
Jaskirat Singh jee, we will let our tech person know about this but it may take some time to address this issue, since he just got married and is not going to be useful to us for few weeks.

Admin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login