ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Who is talking about whom?

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
The following passage was written by a great person and it is about a great person. Can anyone tell who is talking about whom here?

This silent poet makes the rivers cry and sets the hills on fire by touch of his emotion. He remains behind the scenes, invisible, with his flute ringing in the lonliness of a dark midnight. His touch alone can make a poet. I have seen unlettered men and women glowing with poetry when sitting near him. I wander around his rooms, sit here and stand there, do nothing, think nothing just wonder admire and taking tea with him, or enjoying a morning meal in his company, gaze at him as he bathes, as he eats and talks, as he listens to the conversation of those around him, and when I come away I invariably find myself full of a divine love. After seeing him I find myself a beautiful thing worthy of my own homage and love and admiration. I feel like worshipping myself. I find myself intensely creative and when he thinks of me ardently I am inspired with a new passion of life.

Hint: A poet is talking about another poet here.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Hint please?smiling smiley

Are both of them Gursikhs of 2Oth century?

Hint please?

Are both of them Gursikhs of 2Oth century?

Haanji, both were Gursikh personalities of 20th century. When I read this, it really struck me and I thought of sharing it with cyber Sangat.

Kulbir Singh
Is one of them writer of SUNDRI or BIJAY SINGH ?
Bhai Vir Singh ji and........
and Is the other one author of "Ten Masters"?
MB Singh jee is reminding me of tv program (Jalandhar Doordarshan) of early 1980s called Bees Sawaal. In that program, the scholars used to guess the name of any person you are thinking by asking 20 questions. Bhai MB Singh only asked 2 questions and got very near.

Yes the writer is Professor Puran Singh and the passage is about Bhai Vir Singh jee. I haven't had Darshan of Bhai Vir Singh jee because he left this world long before I was born but if you read his books, you can't help notice that he was a great Gurmukh. At the height of his knowledge he started doing translation of Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee and what a wonderful translation it is. It is extremely humble in writing style yet extremely lofty in thought and deeper than ocean in depth. I wish Bhai Vir Singh jee had completed the translation. Unfortunately he translated Maharaj jee's saroop only till Ang 607 when he left for Dargah of Vaheguru.

Bhai Vir Singh was not only fully knowledgeable about Gurbani Grammar but also had the spiritual Avastha required to interpret Gurbani. He had his background in Sampradayak and possessed Gurbani Grammar knowledge. The result was the magnificant Teeka of Gurbani that he refused to called Teeka but called it "Santhiya" out of humility.

Reading Gurbani Shabadkosh written by Bhai Vir Singh is a delight. One gets amazed by the depth of his thought. This Daas intends to write some Gurmat stories of Bhai Vir Singh jee in the coming days.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
I've heard Bhai Vir Singh ji was a kmayee vale gurmukh in disguise of a sikh writer. I've also heard that bhai sahib has written that playing in dasam duar is a minor thing for a gursikh.
waheguru, wish I had read this thread earlier...had a gut feeling after reading the first post by Bhai Kulbir Singh Ji, that it is a poetic conversation between sachkhand vaasi Bhai Sahib Bhai Vir Singh ji and punjab de shevein dariya (6th river (becuase of his works in gurmat/punjabi literature) Prof Puran Singh Ji.

veerji, daas is eagerly awaiting for a thread of Gurmat stories on bhai vir singh ji...Bhai Sahib's overall contribution to sikhi (when we were in dire straits in 19th century) through refining of our itihaas (history), reviving punjabi literature, then setting up instituions (educational, professional (Punjab & Sind Bank; a bread winner for so many sikh families today, mine included as my dad works there) and the list goes on...

Since, Bhai Vir Singh Ji and Prof Puran Singh ji have already been mentioned in this thread, daas has tried to write below the first meeting of these two gurmukhs...This story was narrated by Gyani Dharamvir Singh (Head Granthi, Gurdwara Dukh Nivaran Shaib, Ludhiana) in a gurmat smagam in delhi...

Prof Sahib had a lot of respect for Bhai Sahib and he liked his poetic/literature relsted works. At one of the conferences of punjabi literature, he had an opportunity to meet Bhai Sahib. Prof sahib introduced himself and then told how much he liked Bhai Sahib's works...He told Bhai Sahib of his desire to contribute to punjabi literature...All this while Bhai Sahib just kept on listening Prof Sahib...At the time of parting of their short meeting, Bhai Sahib just placed his hand on the prof sahib's head...Till this time, prof sahib did not have sikhi saroop...I think last part is the most interesting part of conversation and perhaps a message for those who are not in sikhi saroop as yet, that is wahy daas has chosen to split this part of the conversation..

Prof Sahib: Sirr te hath rakh ke aashirwaad dende ho, Bhai Sahib (Are you blessing me Bhai Sahib by placing your hand over my head ?)
Bhai Sahib: Nahi, hath rakh ke eh samjhan di koshish karda haan ki jede naram kesaan te kanga vaana chahida hai, ohna kesaan te koi kenchi kistraaan chala sakda...koi naram hirda taan estraan nahi kar sakda ( No, by placing my hand, I am trying to understand how can one cut such soft hairs which are supposed to be combed regularly by kanga (sikhi kakaar). Cant be a soft-hearted person?)

These lines from Bhai Sahib hit prof sahib deep down and he promised to Bhai Sahib that he wont ever disrespect hairs and beg to Guru Sahib for granting him khalsa saroop. Guru Sahib did his kirpa and Prof Sahib got Khalsa saroop and contributed to panthic literature.

About a couple of years ago, with guru sahib's kirpa, daas had the opportunity to visit Bhai Vir Singh ji's house in amritsar. One of the sevadaars there told me that Prof Puran Singh would spend most of his time at Bhai Sahib's place...always sitting by him...sevadar also told me that not only prof sahib but also people from other faiths such as Jain and Hindus would also regularly come to Bhai Sahib and seek guidance for true enlightenment in the heart...Truly a Gurmukh!!...

Sangat ji, if you have an oportunity to visit his house in amritsar, do it...its worth it...there are so many things one can learn by visiting this Gurmukh's house...sevadar ji was very good.and told a lot about Bhai Sahib's Gursikhi Jeevan.

Lastly, daas aplogizes for all the mistakes committed while writing the above post. I just could not control my excitement smiling smiley perhaps because of Bhai Sahib. Apologize again and hope to see a thread on Bhai Sahib soon.

waheguru ji ka khalsa
waheguru ji ki fateh!!
Veer Kulbir Singh Ji, would you please share the source, from which the para was taken? Is it translation or orgininal text by Prof. Puran Singh?

Jaachak Ji, contributions of Bhai Vir Singh Ji, really need to be, benefitted. He has written a lot of literature. Bhai Vir Singh Ji di Kothi, is a popular buliding in Amritsar. That has so many fruit and flowering trees in it, planted by him. Bhai Sahib Ji loved nature. He has wriitten poems on plants and individual flowers.

I remember a poem by Bhai Sahib, on the plight of a parrot, who has forgotten the art of flying due to his continous imprisonment in a cage, as a pet. The poem is probably titled as SUTANTRATA (freedom). The long poem is a conversation, between this parrot and his friends, who can fly high in the sky. The caged parrot talks about his nice experiences as a pet. But, his friends weep over his inefficiency to fly. The poem ends with a message on the basic right of freedom for everybody.

Some people used to object that Bhai Sahib Ji, did not write or contribute anything in support of freedom struggle against British and he was a beneficiory of that Government. I find this poem in support of freedom struggle.
Veer MB Singh Ji,

You mentioned about how much Bhai Sahib loved nature and all the fruits and trees planted in his kothi. This brings back to mind, one of the stories that sevadar ji (whom I met during my visit to Bhai Sahib's place) narrated. You may already know about it veerji. But, daas thought for benefit of those who have not been to Bhai Sahib's place, might as well narrate it.

Sevadar: Do you see the tall tree right at the entrance to this place?
Daas: Hanji, I see it.
Sevadar: Do you know what tree is it?
Daas: No idea ji.
Sevadar: It is Simal Rukh. Bhai Sahib planted it on purpose. So that, whenever he walking around his house or in backyard, simal rukh (because of its height) would be the first thing he would observe. Guru Sahib has mentioned about Simal rukh in Gurbani and is read during Siri Asa Ki Vaar:

ਸਿੰਮਲ ਰੁਖੁ ਸਰਾਇਰਾ ਅਤਿ ਦੀਰਘ ਅਤਿ ਮੁਚੁ ॥
The simmal tree is straight as an arrow; it is very tall, and very thick.

ਓਇ ਜਿ ਆਵਹਿ ਆਸ ਕਰਿ ਜਾਹਿ ਨਿਰਾਸੇ ਕਿਤੁ ॥
But those birds which visit it hopefully, depart disappointed.

ਫਲ ਫਿਕੇ ਫੁਲ ਬਕਬਕੇ ਕੰਮਿ ਨ ਆਵਹਿ ਪਤ ॥
Its fruits are tasteless, its flowers are nauseating, and its leaves are useless.

And, next to Simal Rukh, some trees/plants (bearing fruits, forget which ones exactly) which dont grow beyond (2-4 ft) were placed. The intent for placing these was the following line:

ਮਿਠਤੁ ਨੀਵੀ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਗੁਣ ਚੰਗਿਆਈਆ ਤਤੁ ॥
Sweetness and humility, O Nanak, are the essence of virtue and goodness.

After hearing the explanation, I could only gasp and wonder, how much beyond are gurmukhs from the understanding of ordinary human beings like me? They even bend the surroundings around themselves in such a manner that they do not forget Guru Sahib's hukam/shabad and always remain in chardi kala.

Veerjio, I am not aware of him being objected for lack of contributions for independence. But, even if that happened, the people who think minorities are independent in India, need to rethink.

Besides, daas firmly believes that Guru Sahib ne har gurmukh/mahapurakh di duty laayi hondi hai...jo jiddi duty si oh karke chala gaya...If he had not refined out Siri Guru Nanak Dev ji's and Siri Dashmesh ji's itihaas (history) by writing Guru Nanak Chamtkaar and Kalgidhar Chamatkaar, I dont know how we would have sorted out the discrepancies purposefully created by Brahmins for weakening Sikhi and trying to show us as part of Hindus. He was a fierce parchaarak of Tat Gurmat. Setting up educational and professional institutions like banks was a foresight.

1. It allowed Khalsa education for our children without Brahamani/christian influence.
2. Getting into service sector institutions ensured other means of employment, besides armed forces, driving trucks or farming. Why should we die on the border and then Brahmins rule the country? Better lead some other life and let them deal with enemies. Pher ehna nu singh yaad aaunde ne, vaise militant jaapde ne.

besides, as you mentioned, his poem on sutantarta is reflective of his thinking.

bhul chuk di khima ji
waheguru ji ka khalsa
waheguru ji ki fateh

Prof Sahib: Sirr te hath rakh ke aashirwaad dende ho, Bhai Sahib (Are you blessing me Bhai Sahib by placing your hand over my head ?)
Bhai Sahib: Nahi, hath rakh ke eh samjhan di koshish karda haan ki jede naram kesaan te kanga vaana chahida hai, ohna kesaan te koi kenchi kistraaan chala sakda...koi naram hirda taan estraan nahi kar sakda ( No, by placing my hand, I am trying to understand how can one cut such soft hairs which are supposed to be combed regularly by kanga (sikhi kakaar). Cant be a soft-hearted person?)

What a killer by Bhai Vir Singh jee. Leave aside the soft heart of Professor Puran Singh, even a Sang-dil's (a person with stone heart) heart would have melted hearing this from the lips of Bhai Vir Singh jee.

Even before this conversation took place, Professor Puran Singh had been wounded through the glance of Bhai Vir Singh jee. Without talking and without saying anything, Bhai Vir Singh was able to move Professor Puran Singh. Professor Sahib himself has written this in one of his books that when a "Pyara" looked at him, he was wounded with the glance. Later on, Professor Puran Singh asked numerous questions and Bhai Vir Singh answered them so diligently that this person who had renounced Sikhi and had become a Hindu Swami, announced next day in the Panthik convention that he was coming back to the fold of Sikhi.

Dhan Gursikhi!

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
One of the questions that daas struggles to cope with most of the time while reading about Bhai Vir Singh Ji is the reference to killing of animals for purpose of eating them in some of the historic novels he has written.

No doubt Bhai Vir Singh is one of the best from the last century but should we also try to understand how gurmukhs of such calibre could end up writing about eating meat as a casual and normal thing which is used by a lot of pro non veg sikhs during debates and discussions.
Below is a picture of Bhai Vir Singh and Professor Puran Singh.

(Professor Puran Singh with Bhai Vir Singh)

(Professor Puran Singh and Bhai Vir Singh)

(Bhai Vir Singh)

(Bhai Vir Singh)

(Bhai Vir Singh)

(Bhai Vir Singh in younger days)

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login