ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

does this affect bibek?

Posted by Theguptone 
does this affect bibek?
June 01, 2010 01:02PM
Gurfateh
Daas has a very great desire from the heart for sarbloh bibek, however I need certain circumstances to change before I can take the plunge. In the meantime I am just trying to think out all issues associated with it.
I was just wondering that if there were perhaps polishes on the sarbloh utensils that food was cooked in, is this something to worry about it affecting the bibek status of the food?

In some cases I think the polish is even made from animals, which also leads me to wonder about when kirpan bhet is done as aren't most kirpans that we buy having polish on them?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: does this affect bibek?
June 01, 2010 01:19PM
what kind of animal products are in the polish on kirpaans? i had never heard of this... i'm sure if you get your kirpaans and utensils from someone reputable this cannot be the case. i have seen bhai inderjeet singh ji (amritsar) polishing sarabloh shastars, and he simply uses a machine (with finer and finer grit) to polish it to a shine. i don't think any coating is used.

i've never seen coated sarbloh utensils, but if you're worried about it, coatings can be removed with sand (or sandpaper) or a steel scrubber. boiling water in it will help remove temporary (oil based) coating . when we buy cast iron (black iron), we boil water in it and scrub it with steel to remove any coating, then re-season it with vegetable oil (you can use ghio too) on high heat.
June 01, 2010 04:22PM
You are blessed for having the utshah of keeping this rehit. Hurry and do not delay jio!

As for using polished or coated sarbloh utensils, the answer is no. Sarblohi utensils should be bare without any form of polish. It should be such that it rusts as natural as possible and change in color depending on its state of use. Polish acts as a layer and difuses the full effect of sarbloh and acts as a barrier.

A kirpan used for bhog should also be bare ie. uncoated/ polished. Singhs do seva of sarbloh to shine it, we don't need polish. Seva of sarbloh is a pleasure of its own! smiling smiley Hope this helps.
June 01, 2010 05:15PM
The only answer is as Veer said above : Hurry and do not delay jio!

Who knows how much time we are here for watching this RANG TAMASHA ---- "MALAK JE KANI SUNIDA MOOOH DIKHALE AYYYE" !!!

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
I don't know specifically about the polish on kirpans, but I searched net for metal polish and some seemed to have animal products (unless I have misunderstood). Thats good if its true that no coating is used. Does anyone else know more about whether this is the case or not? I'm worried because if I made an effort I could make sure that I personally went to manufacturers and made sure kirpan and batas did not have any thing non-gurmat put on them, but then how can one be sure that other Gursikhs /gurdwara has taken same precaution? Is it ok to take the risk?
see this link [www.bright-works.com] they sell grease tallow for use on polishing/buffer wheels. It would be basically impossible to check at each gurdwara the source of the kirpan used for bhet and then find out whether the manufacturer used it... so really i guess its just something to hope for the best for.. thoughts?
June 04, 2010 10:14AM
it seems really odd to me that any Sikh would use tallow (made from beef- would be hard to get in india) to manufacture kirpaans and especially sarabloh utensils. there are so many other, less expensive lubricants available.

but regardless, these oils can be removed by abrasive polishing (sand, ash, steel pads, etc).
Yes true I suppose. I don't know why but this is something that is really worrying me, I'm hesitant to take parshad at the Gurdwara now just incase sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login