ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Surrender of Indian Passport???

Posted by JASJIT SINGH 
Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

Does any one have more information about this why all of sudden GOI want to surrender your Indian passport with big fee if you obtained the naturalization in foreign countries? Can not believe GOI’s unnecessary laws.

Here is what they say:
.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Renunciation of Indian Citizenship/Obtaining Surrender Certificate

Frequently Asked Questions

Q 1 What is a Surrender Certificate and why do I need to obtain one?
Under Indian law, Persons of Indian Origin, who have acquired foreign citizenship, are required to surrender their Indian passports to the nearest Indian Mission/Post immediately after acquisition of foreign citizenship and should obtain a Surrender Certificate.

The Indian Citizenship Act, 1955, does not allow dual citizenship. Holding Indian passport/acquiring Indian passport/travelling on Indian passport after acquisition of foreign citizenship constitutes an offence under the Indian Passport Act, 1967, and attracts penalties. The Government of India has prescribed imposition of penalty on a graded scale, depending on number of trips made on Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality, for the violation of Passport Rules and retention of Indian Passport for more than 3 years after acquiring of foreign nationality.

Q2 I have already obtained an Indian visa/PIO/OCI card. Do I still need to obtain the Surrender Certificate?
Yes, you need to obtain the Surrender Certificate. If you have an emergency travel to India coming up and hold valid visa/PIO/OCI, you may travel as of now but you should apply for Surrender Certificate at the earliest on your return.

Q3 My Indian passport has already been cancelled by an Indian Mission but I was not issued a Surrender Certificate. Do I need to obtain one?
Even though your passport has a cancelled stamp, you need to formally renounce your citizenship as per the prescribed format and obtain a Surrender Certificate as a proof of having done so.

Q4 I have lost/misplaced/submitted (to US authorities) my Indian passport. How may I obtain a Surrender Certificate?
If you do not have your Indian passport, you need to submit a sworn affidavit (notarized) explaining loss of your passport. You may attach a copy of your lost passport with your application. If your passport has been retained by the US authorities, you may submit some documentary proof to that effect. If you have lost an Indian passport which was valid beyond January 2005, you need to submit a police report along with your application. You may also provide additional documents (copy of birth certificate) to prove your Indian origin. Once your application is accepted as complete, we’ll issue you an acknowledgement that you have surrendered your citizenship and that your passport has been lost.

Q5 May I apply for Surrender Certificate and visa/PIO/OCI at the same time?
You should first obtain the Surrender Certificate and then apply for other services.

Q6 I have to undertake an emergency travel. Can I obtain Surrender Certificate and the Indian visa the same day?
Yes, if you have an emergency, you may first apply for SC at the Consulate. Once you have the SC, you may apply for emergency visa.

Q7 I have included names of my minor children in my renunciation form. Is this sufficient for renouncing their citizenship as well or separate applications need to be submitted for them?
Yes, you need to submit separate applications along with their Indian passports for your minor children. The fees and penalties are same as in cases of adult applications.

Q8 I have to process Surrender Certificates for my whole family. May I send all the applications as one mail and a combined money order/certified check for all the fees and mailing charges?
Yes. The total mailing charges for the whole family are $20 only. You need not send mailing charges separately for all applications of a family.

Q9 My minor children have obtained their US passports but do not have their naturalization certificates. How may I apply for them?
You may submit copies of their first US passports instead.

Q10 I became a US citizen more than 20 years ago. My child who travelled from India on my passport never held an Indian passport. Do we still need to renounce the Indian citizenship?
Even though you became a US citizen long time ago, you need to formally renounce the Indian citizenship and obtain a Surrender Certificate. Children, who travelled on their parents’ Indian passports, also need to renounce their Indian citizenship. They may submit copies of their parents’ passports along with their application.

Source: [www.indiacgny.org]
............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Well! there is opposition to this by signing a petition:

Opposition to Retroactive Enforcement of New Rules for Surrender of Indian Passport
[www.petitiononline.com]

With Regards,
Daas
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login