ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Style of Puratan Gurdwaras?

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
I was wondering does anyone know how the ancient Gurdwaras were structured. Perhaps there wasnt a uniformal structure but there must have been distinct features of the Gurdwaras from the past.

I noticed in the picture below there is an old Gurdwara Langar that has four holes around each side of the dome , maybe this represent that all are allowed in the Gurdwaras langar. Does anybody more know about this?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Interesting topic. Darbar Sahib has the ideal structure created by Guru Sahibaans. It seems like the most important features of gurdwara sahibs is the darbar sahib itself, nishan sahib outside and a langar ghar. Maybe someone else with information on old historical gurdwara buildings may be able to share.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khlasa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Veer Ji, it will be worthwhile to see pictures of old buildings of Gurdwaras. I really liked those buildings. Most of those have been demolished and given a new building. The Gurdwaras of Pakistan, have been saved from "so called reconstruction". May be, we are lucky in this aspect. All those are not very big buildings. It is difficult to describe the architecture due to lack of terminology and expertize. I remember, Gurdwara Patti Sahib and Kiara Sahib, near the Janam Asthan Nankana Sahib; having small buildings and peaceful atmosphere.
When I went to Anandpur Sahib I saw a langar hall that was close to the main langar hall. But this langar hall was real old, and had no lights inside. The Bibis doing langar seva were wearing dastar. When we asked about the Gurdwara they said it was founded by a MahaPurush but did not explain the histroy of the Gurdwara. THis langar hall was extremely peaceful and blessed does anybody know more about this Gurdwara. It is not far from Keshghar Sahib
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login