ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Collect Rehatnamas Together

Posted by gursewak 
Collect Rehatnamas Together
April 22, 2010 08:31AM
Can we club all the known SIKH Rehatnamas here to have a single common place for reference ? I am pretty sure there are plenty of people like me who do not have the complete history of Rehatnamas in SIKH PANTH (WHO, WHEN, WHERE ) etc. I think it will be benefical to many of us.

KARO KIRPA Ji - Pls share the knowledge all on the FORUM have and lets try to get it in a form of document for reference.

Bhul Chuk Maaf JI !!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Please do it. I also request that.
Re: Collect Rehatnamas Together
April 22, 2010 09:03AM
i have a collection of puratan rehetnamae, but they have all been translated to english. i don't know if this is desirable, but i will try to scan the most important and authentic of them soon.
April 22, 2010 09:43AM
bhainjee if you can do that it would be wonderful
I think some collection is done by Punjabi University or other Universities. Over here, we can show links to different Rehatnamas, for the time being.
April 22, 2010 02:50PM
Works by Bhai Nand Lal Ji Goya

On the last few pages is the Rehatnama and Tankah nama. Some of the english translations are not entirely accurate but relatively easy to understand Punjabi.

What are the five routines in the Rehatnama?

At work I cannot use the Gurmukhi Font, but it says 'Panch Nem pur Sikh Jo Dharay, Ikees Kul kutamb ko tharay'. OR The Sikh who revels in five routines, He secures the emancipation for his twenty-one generations (7)

This may sound daft but when Bhai Nand Lal ji mentions bathing in cold water, could they be referring to just India? In places like Punjab the water in the winter is not terribly cold as it comes from deep under ground and in the summer it is always warm enough. Maybe I'm just finding excuses :-)

From Tankahnama:

'If he does not take bath in cold water, And without reading Jap, takes his food,(25)'
Regarding bathing in cold water Vs Bhai Sahib Nand Lal Ji Hukamnama; I understand that the particular Hukamnama should be interpreted in other way. The hukam is not about forcing one take bath compusarily with cold water.

THANDE PAANI JO NAA NAAVE-----------------------

Those who abstain from taking bath, because of water being cold, -----------------------------

There is slight difference in two interpretations. Those who can not afford to have bath in cold water, can have that, no problem.
Dr. Trilochan Singh has translated authentic Rehatnamas from authentic handwritten manuscripts. Read "The Turban and The Sword of the Sikhs".
there are a few on www.vidhia.com as well
Unjaan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Works by Bhai Nand Lal Ji Goya
>

>
> What are the five routines in the Rehatnama?
>
>

Bhenji If you look at the beginning of the Rehatnamey there are five things a Sikh must daily do . The last one is Kirtan Sohila. I think these 5 things are referring to the 5 routines.
April 23, 2010 05:05AM
Sukhdeep Singh Ji - Thanks

..and for the benefit of the readers I am most certainly malesmiling smiley
April 23, 2010 07:46AM
Just buy Pyara Singh Padam's book Rehetname. He has printed most of the rehetnama's if not all.

Regarding bathing in cold water Vs Bhai Sahib Nand Lal Ji Hukamnama; I understand that the particular Hukamnama should be interpreted in other way. The hukam is not about forcing one take bath compusarily with cold water.
THANDE PAANI JO NAA NAAVE-----------------------
Those who abstain from taking bath, because of water being cold, -----------------------------
There is slight difference in two interpretations. Those who can not afford to have bath in cold water, can have that, no problem.

Bhai MB Singh jeeo, the above translation seems to be stretched too much. At Amritvela, cold water Ishnaan is important to become alert and ready to fight the Bikaars. According to this interpretation, one gets the impression that most Sikhs at the time of Guru Sahib used to do Ishnaan with warm water but if warm water is not available then one should not abstain from not taking shower with cold water. Who gets time to heat water at 2am? I think I have also read Bhai Sahib's writing supporting cold water Ishnaan.

In India, in any case water coming out of wells or tubewells is not too cold but very mildly cold.

Kulbir Singh
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Wow Unjaan Bhein Ji; no, you are certainly my Bhein Ji too.----------------- Gurmukh Sakhian Sikh Guru Milaanian.
Kulbir Singh Veer Ji, I am sorry, I can not explain correctly. I do feel Cold water is best. (In a separate thread, we have already discussed that). Neither, I recommended warm water. I just wanted to say that this Hukamnama does not recommends or forces for a Compusarily Cold Water Bath. If it is so; then how to acieve it in hot climatic conditions? If water can not be warmed to keep it COLD as desired by Hukamnama, then how to make it COLD, if we are having warm water avilable to us in hot deserts. In Punjab, in hot summers; cold water bath is most sought after, but it is not available.
April 23, 2010 08:29AM
ਠੰਡੇ ਪਾਣੀ ਜੋ ਨਹਿ ਨ੍ਹਾਵੈ ਬਿਨ ਜਪ ਪੜ੍ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦ ਜੁ ਖਾਵੈ ॥
Those who do not take their morning bath in cold water and those who eat before their Nitnem infringe the Rehat.
Rehatnama Bhai Nand Laal Jee

Below are few more rehats please share more jee

ਕੰਘਾ ਦੋਨੋ ਵਕਤ ਕਰ ਪਾਗ ਚੁਨੈ ਕਰ ਬਾਂਧਈ ॥
Comb your hair twice a daily and re-tie your turban each time your wear it.
Rehatnama Bhai Nand Laal Jee

ਰਹਤ ਬਿਨਾ ਤਨਖਾਹੀ ਜਾਨੋ ॥ ਰਹਤ ਬਿਨਾ ਜੜ੍ਹ ਭੂਤ ਬਖਾਨੋ ॥
Without strict discipline they are punishable. Without strict discipline they are like ghosts.
Rehatnama Bhai Desa Singh

ਦਸ ਨਖ ਕਰ ਜੋ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਵੈ ਤਾਂ ਕਰ ਜੋ ਧਨ ਘਰ ਮੈ ਆਵੈ ॥ ਤਸ ਤੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਦਸੌਂਧ ਜੋ ਦੇਈ ਸਿੰਘ ਸੁਯਸ ਬਹੁ ਜਗ ਮਹਿ ਲੋਈ ॥
He must earn an honest living with the ten nails of his hand and bring that money home. He who then gives one tenth of these honest earnings to the Guru will be praised the world over.
Rehatnama Bhai Desa Singh

ਮੇਰਉ ਹੁਕਮ ਮਾਨਹਿ ਨਹੀ ਕਰਹਿ ਨ ਸਿਖ ਕੀ ਸੇਵ ਸੋ ਬੀਰਜ ਮਲੇਛ ਕੋ ਪਰਗਟ ਪਛਾਨਹੁ ਭੇਵ ॥8॥
They who do not accept my Hukam and do not perform devotional service of Sikhs, they are faithless melechas.
Thankhaanama Bhai Nand Laal Jee

ਜੋ ਸਿਖ ਆਪਣੇ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਨੂੰ ਪੋਥੀ, ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਨਾ ਸਿਖਾਏ, ਸੋ ਭੀ ਤਨਖਾਹੀਆ
The Sikh parent who does not teach their children to read and understand Gurbani will be punished.
Rehatnama Bhai Chaupaa Singh Jee

Kulbir Singh Veer Ji, I am sorry, I can not explain correctly. I do feel Cold water is best. (In a separate thread, we have already discussed that). Neither, I recommended warm water. I just wanted to say that this Hukamnama does not recommends or forces for a Compusarily Cold Water Bath. If it is so; then how to acieve it in hot climatic conditions? If water can not be warmed to keep it COLD as desired by Hukamnama, then how to make it COLD, if we are having warm water avilable to us in hot deserts. In Punjab, in hot summers; cold water bath is most sought after, but it is not available.

Veer jeeo, thanks for the explanation. I don't think cold means ice cold. Rarely natural water is hot. Even in summers, the tubewell or river or canal water is slightly towards the cold i.e. not hot. I guess, if a Gursikh does Ishnaan with natural water, he or she fulfills the Hukam of this Rehitnama.

In Canada, we are blessed with ice-cold water naturally and Ishnaan with such water is a blessing. In India the natural water is not that cold and as such there is less fun doing Ishnaan. smiling smiley

Having said that, I understand what you are saying.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Unjaan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sukhdeep Singh Ji - Thanks
>
> ..and for the benefit of the readers I am most
> certainly malesmiling smiley

Sorry Bhai Sahib If I cant determine a persons agenda according to their screename then I refer to them as Bhenji, because in reality everyone is a Bhenji ( atma).smiling smiley
A very basic question, please. How do we define a Rehatnama? It is the collection of instructions said to be given by Guru Sahib or-------------------------------.
Who was authorized to write that? Did Guru Sahib Himself advised the writers for that works?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login