ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

meaning of this pangti

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
meaning of this pangti
April 21, 2010 06:19PM
For a long time I have been trying to figure out this pangti. But I cant figure it out

ਜੀਅ ਜੰਤ ਸਰਬਤ ਨਾਉ ਤੇਰਾ ਧਿਆਵਣਾ ॥

I dont understand how everyone meditates on Akal Purakh.

Is the meaning perhaps

ਜੀਅ ਜੰਤ, ਸਰਬਤ ਨਾਉ ਤੇਰਾ ਧਿਆਵਣਾ ॥

all the beings meditate on all your names.

I have heard ragi Singhs recite ਨਾਉ twice when singing this Shabad. they sing
ਜੀਅ ਜੰਤ,ਸਰਬਤ ਨਾਉ then right after they sing ਨਾਉ, ਤੇਰਾ ਧਿਆਵਣਾ

is ਨਾਉ a dehli deepak?

In the proceeding pangti

ਤੂ ਦਾਤਾ ਦਾਤਾਰੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਦਿਤਾ ਖਾਵਣਾ ॥

Is the giver referring to giver of Gurmantar and Khavna referring to swas swas simran?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: meaning of this pangti
April 22, 2010 11:46PM

i think this can refer to all foods in general including food, air, water etc.

For a long time I have been trying to figure out this pangti. But I cant figure it out
ਜੀਅ ਜੰਤ ਸਰਬਤ ਨਾਉ ਤੇਰਾ ਧਿਆਵਣਾ ॥
I dont understand how everyone meditates on Akal Purakh.

The pankitis like this can be understood if we realize the Macro picture. Naam is everywhere and thus everyone is chanting Naam. Please ponder upon this Pankiti:

ਧਰਤਿ ਪਾਤਾਲੁ ਆਕਾਸੁ ਹੈ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦੁੜੀਏ ਸਭ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ਰਾਮ ॥
ਪਉਣੁ ਪਾਣੀ ਬੈਸੰਤਰੋ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦੁੜੀਏ ਨਿਤ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਸੁ ਗਾਵੈ ਰਾਮ ॥
ਵਣੁ ਤ੍ਰਿਣੁ ਸਭੁ ਆਕਾਰੁ ਹੈ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦੁੜੀਏ ਮੁਖਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ਰਾਮ ॥
ਨਾਨਕ ਤੇ ਹਰਿ ਦਰਿ ਪੈਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਇਆ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦੁੜੀਏ ਜੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਮਨੁ ਲਾਵੈ ਰਾਮ ॥੪॥੪॥

What an amazing Shabad. The Earth, netherlands, sky, all meditate on the Naam. Air, water, fire all sing Naam roopi Jass. Forests, trees and the whole creation is meditating on the Naam. But, such person who does Bhagti through the Guru, gets honoured in the Dargah of Vaheguru.

The Naam is all-pervading. Gurmukhs who reach a high state of spirituality, can feel the vibrations of Naam everywhere. Hence they say that everyone is chanting Naam. But in the last pankiti of the Shabad Guru Sahib has made it clear that even though Naam is in everyone and everyone is Chanting Naam but when one does Bhagti through Guru (Gurmukh means through Guru), only then one gets honoured in the Dargah.

ਜੀਅ ਜੰਤ, ਸਰਬਤ ਨਾਉ ਤੇਰਾ ਧਿਆਵਣਾ ॥
all the beings meditate on all your names.
I have heard ragi Singhs recite ਨਾਉ twice when singing this Shabad. they sing
ਜੀਅ ਜੰਤ,ਸਰਬਤ ਨਾਉ then right after they sing ਨਾਉ, ਤੇਰਾ ਧਿਆਵਣਾ

ਜੀਅ ਜੰਤ ਸਰਬਤ, ਨਾਉ ਤੇਰਾ ਧਿਆਵਣਾ ॥
ਸਰਬਤ is an adjective of ਜੀਅ-ਜੰਤ and not a Dehli Deepak. ਸਰਬਤ means all i.e. everyone. Everybody chant your Naam, O Vaheguru.

Is the giver referring to giver of Gurmantar and Khavna referring to swas swas simran?

Vaheguru is ਦਾਤਾ ਦਾਤਾਰੁ i.e. Giver of the Givers. All eat what they are given by Dataar Vaheguru. O Vaheguru, you are the Giver of Givers and everyone eats what is given by you. Here ਖਾਵਣਾ not only means consuming food but all kinds of gifts that creatures consume.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
What an amazing Shabad. The Earth, netherlands, sky, all meditate on the Naam. Air, water, fire all sing Naam roopi Jass. Forests, trees and the whole creation is meditating on the Naam

In what sense do the aforementioned things meditate on the naam?

In what sense do the aforementioned things meditate on the naam?

Naam is all-pervading. Everything is sustained and supported by Naam. Gurmukhs at high spiritual states can hear and feel the Vibrations of Naam in everything. This is why it's written that everything and everyone is meditating on Naam.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login