ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nagar Keertans

Posted by outwardly 
Nagar Keertans
April 17, 2010 02:52PM
Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsaa, Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh

What are the sangats views on public nagar keertans that are carried out today? How are they different to how they used to be carried out in Puratan-sama?

Dhanvaad Ji!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Nagar Keertans
April 19, 2010 09:50AM
I briefly heard from someone earlier that Nagar Kirtans started earlier with the intention to do "SIKHI PARCHAR" as the sikhs were small in number and quiet spread out in earlier times. So Nagar Kirtans gave them the opportunities to do SANGAT DARSHAN AND SEWA.

I am deifinitely sure that there is a huge difference how they were carried out earlier VS what we see on roads today.

1) DRESS: I dont think the ATTIRE of the people these is ADEQUATE for Nagar Kirtasn. Can we beileve Jeans,Tshirts,shorts for someone walking with Guru Granth Sahib in Sangat for Nagar Kirtan ? I remember some Nagar Kirtans when we were kids, all i recall is atleast 90% + Gurmukhi Bannas.

2) The Sewa Bhawna : I think the Sewa Bhawna is one more thing that has greatly disappeared for such events. I remember Sangat cleaning Roads entire night with JHAROOs where the Kirtan was supposed to cross from next morning VS today we see it totaly different. We see huge drop in the Marayada for the Langars organized on the roads for the Nagar Kirtans. Bareheaded people are seen working in Langars.

3) Audios: We hear all kind of different Audios coming out from Trucks moving along with the Kirtans. Instead of Sangat doing the Kirtan we hear so called DHARMAK GEETs on Filmi tunes that makes it look worst and makes it more of an entertainment sight.

4) DHARAM Parchar: I feel the real function of these Nagar Kirtans was to PROMOTE SIKHI , while we are in western countries , we should have more information templates etc that should be given to people if we still target the same goals. Also there should be some such initiatives taken to make sure that we actually try to REACH OUT TO THE PEOPLE TO TELL THEM WHO WE ARE and what WE TRY TO DO WITH THESE NAGAR KIRTANS.

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
April 19, 2010 01:11PM
Thankyou veer jee for your informative reply! thumbs up
April 19, 2010 01:37PM
gursewak
4) DHARAM Parchar: I feel the real function of these Nagar Kirtans was to PROMOTE SIKHI , while we are in western countries , we should have more information templates etc that should be given to people if we still target the same goals. Also there should be some such initiatives taken to make sure that we actually try to REACH OUT TO THE PEOPLE TO TELL THEM WHO WE ARE and what WE TRY TO DO WITH THESE NAGAR KIRTANS.

but isn't it true that in the west, we need to reach out to western punjabis who are born in "sikh" families, just as much as we need to reach out to the westerners?

we can't expect to see punjabis who don't know the basics of sikhs wearing gurmukhi bana or following rehet, when they don't even know what rehet is?

i agree that we need to promote sikhi, but we also need to promote sikhi among people who consider themselves sikhs, but do not follow gurmat.

just my thoughts...
April 19, 2010 05:47PM
I went to a Nagar Kirtan this week and it was quite sad to see that most of the sangat when there for food instead of kirtan.
Even in Guru Jis hazoori outside people were munching and just ideally talking. I mentioned to some people that they should eat while kirtan is going on as a sign of respectand they looked at me as though I was a fanatic, lol. This reminds me of the following article about nagar kirtan. Also many people had their heads uncovered. I heard that in the old days Bhai Randhir SIngh Ji along with the jatha used to walk around the neighborhoods and do kirtan on foot. I remember seeing pictures of this somewhere.
April 20, 2010 09:16AM
Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!

Thank you for your replies.

Veer Sukhdeep Singh Jee,

I mentioned to some people that they should eat while kirtan is going on as a sign of respect

I dont understand, do you mean "should not eat"?

This reminds me of the following article about nagar kirtan

Which article? Please post

I heard that in the old days Bhai Randhir SIngh Ji along with the jatha used to walk around the neighborhoods and do kirtan on foot. I remember seeing pictures of this somewhere.

If anyone has these pictures, please share, thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login