ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Time spent doing Paath

Posted by Jaskirat Singh 
Time spent doing Paath
April 15, 2010 02:20PM
I would like to ask if there is any difference in amount of Gurbani paath one can do in a certain time? For example, one Gursikh may take 2 hours to do Nitnem of 5 Banis and another Gursikh may be able to complete entire Sundar Gutka during this same time. Assuming both read Gurbani with the same level of attention, which is better?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Time spent doing Paath
April 15, 2010 04:35PM
does it matter how much time it takes to read gurbani? i think it's the message, the essence, the ras, that is important.

i have heard one gursikh do entire panj bani nitnem in about 20 minutes. i couldn't understand a word of it. but if he felt it in his heart, that's all that really matters. smiling smiley
Jaskirat Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would like to ask if there is any difference in
> amount of Gurbani paath one can do in a certain
> time? For example, one Gursikh may take 2 hours to
> do Nitnem of 5 Banis and another Gursikh may be
> able to complete entire Sundar Gutka during this
> same time. Assuming both read Gurbani with the
> same level of attention, which is better?

I was thinking the same thing today during Nitnem. I was thinking there are some Gurmukhs whom I have heard do Nitnem extremely slow one example is Maskeen Ji. Then there are other Gurmukhs whom I have heard that do paath extremely fast example Pooran Ji. Both were Gurmukhs with an extraordinary jeevan so I dont think doing paat slower or faster makes a difference. Some prefer to do it fast others prefer to do it slow. Even though i recite Nitnem slow I prefer to do it fast because for me the mind wanders less when Bani is not being recited so slow. But when I recite to fast and dont do veechar then the mind begins to wander again. SO for me I try to recite Bani at a reasonable pace and do veechar while reciting.
April 15, 2010 10:49PM
It is very interesting. Some enjoy it fast. It is really difficult to sit patiently and listen to a slow path for some. (I feel restless, while listening to slow Gurbani Path). Listening slow path seems to be difficult. But if one is going to do himself, it is a different case.

Bhai Sahib Ji in one of his writings, details that how much he enjoyed a slow Path once. A Gurbani Path of 15 minutes was got completed in about 2-3 hours. But this he quoted as a special case. Bhai Sahib Ji was describing that how much VISMAAD RANG was there on that day with him.

The original question of Veer Ji is very difficult to answer. Same time, same attenion; less Gurbani (e.g.Only Nitnem) or more (Nitnem plus); which is better? Veer Kulbir Singh Ji to intervene please.

The original question of Veer Ji is very difficult to answer. Same time, same attenion; less Gurbani (e.g.Only Nitnem) or more (Nitnem plus); which is better? Veer Kulbir Singh Ji to intervene please.

The humble views of this Daas are as follows. If everything is held constant i.e. both paaths have same attention, concentration, understanding and spend the same time but one is done fast and the other is done slow, the paath done fast would have more Mahaatam. As an example, if one was to do 5 Siri Jap jee Sahibs in half an hour and another one was to do one paath in the same time, and everything else e.g. concentration, understanding, pyaar, Bairaag etc. were same, it seems like 5 paaths would be better.

Why? Because we are allowing our mind to be rubbed by Siri Jap jee Sahib 5 times as opposed to only 1 time.

The above does not mean that we should attempt to do paath faster. As we do more and more paaths, our Surthee becomes Balvaan (strong) and more paaths can be done in less time and with more concentration. This happens automatically. A Bibi who used to take long time to do even Mool Mantra and when she attempted to do about 3000 Mool Mantras a day, she could not do it for the first few days but sooner than later her Surthee became Balvaan and she was able to do this amount of Jaap with ease.

Bhai Atma Singh jee used to get up around 1-2 am and as soon he used to wake up, automatically, Siri Sukhmani Sahib used to start in his Surthee. It used to take him 16 minutes to complete this paath in Surthee and then he used to do his Ishnaan etc. During the sleep too, it is said that he used to do Siri Sukhmani Sahib or Naam Abhyaas. So strong was his Surthee. Sant Attar Singh jee Mastuanewale used to be able to do Siri Jap jee Sahib in about 2-3 minutes. For about 2 years or so, he did 175 Siri Jap jee Sahibs a day. This made his Surthee very Balvaan and he was able to do clear and concentrated paath in just 2-3 minutes. I know some Gursikhs, who do many Siri Jap jee Sahibs a day, do Siri Jap jee Sahib in 4 minutes. The concentration in Paath, after one has done 20-25 Siri Jap jee Sahibs, is much deeper than doing just one or two paaths.

Rest, Bhai, Guru Sahib knows.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Thanks for the interesting replies everyone
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > The original question of Veer Ji is very
> difficult to answer. Same time, same attenion;
> less Gurbani (e.g.Only Nitnem) or more (Nitnem
> plus); which is better? Veer Kulbir Singh Ji to
> intervene please.
>
>
> The humble views of this Daas are as follows. If
> everything is held constant i.e. both paaths have
> same attention, concentration, understanding and
> spend the same time but one is done fast and the
> other is done slow, the paath done fast would have
> more Mahaatam. As an example, if one was to do 5
> Siri Jap jee Sahibs in half an hour and another
> one was to do one paath in the same time, and
> everything else e.g. concentration, understanding,
> pyaar, Bairaag etc. were same, it seems like 5
> paaths would be better.
>
> Why? Because we are allowing our mind to be rubbed
> by Siri Jap jee Sahib 5 times as opposed to only 1
> time.
>
> The above does not mean that we should attempt to
> do paath faster. As we do more and more paaths,
> our Surthee becomes Balvaan (strong) and more
> paaths can be done in less time and with more
> concentration. This happens automatically. A Bibi
> who used to take long time to do even Mool Mantra
> and when she attempted to do about 3000 Mool
> Mantras a day, she could not do it for the first
> few days but sooner than later her Surthee became
> Balvaan and she was able to do this amount of Jaap
> with ease.
>
> Bhai Atma Singh jee used to get up around 1-2 am
> and as soon he used to wake up, automatically,
> Siri Sukhmani Sahib used to start in his Surthee.
> It used to take him 16 minutes to complete this
> paath in Surthee and then he used to do his
> Ishnaan etc. During the sleep too, it is said that
> he used to do Siri Sukhmani Sahib or Naam Abhyaas.
> So strong was his Surthee. Sant Attar Singh jee
> Mastuanewale used to be able to do Siri Jap jee
> Sahib in about 2-3 minutes. For about 2 years or
> so, he did 175 Siri Jap jee Sahibs a day. This
> made his Surthee very Balvaan and he was able to
> do clear and concentrated paath in just 2-3
> minutes. I know some Gursikhs, who do many Siri
> Jap jee Sahibs a day, do Siri Jap jee Sahib in 4
> minutes. The concentration in Paath, after one has
> done 20-25 Siri Jap jee Sahibs, is much deeper
> than doing just one or two paaths.
>
> Rest, Bhai, Guru Sahib knows.
>
> Daas,
> Kulbir Singh

Should concentration be focused in the navel ( Naacool smiley area or elsewhere.
April 16, 2010 11:43PM
Kulbir Singh
Sant Attar Singh jee Mastuanewale used to be able to do Siri Jap jee Sahib in about 2-3 minutes. For about 2 years or so, he did 175 Siri Jap jee Sahibs a day. This made his Surthee very Balvaan and he was able to do clear and concentrated paath in just 2-3 minutes. I know some Gursikhs, who do many Siri Jap jee Sahibs a day, do Siri Jap jee Sahib in 4 minutes. The concentration in Paath, after one has done 20-25 Siri Jap jee Sahibs, is much deeper than doing just one or two paaths.

i think one must be at a very advanced spiritual state in order to give full concentration to jap jee sahib if it's done in just four minutes. for beginners like me, it makes more sense to take the time needed to understand it fully. smiling smiley
Initially after reading all the replies I still could not come a conclusion, but now after reading last reply of 1kaur jee I think we must do what naturally suits us best on a personal level.

Also, those Gurmukhs who are doing Sri Jap Jee Sahib in 4 minutes would make short work of the 84 steps at Sri Goindwal Sahib lol smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login