ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

meaning of the following Shabad

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
ਮੋਰੀ ਰੁਣ ਝੁਣ ਲਾਇਆ ਭੈਣੇ ਸਾਵਣੁ ਆਇਆ
ਤੇਰੇ ਮੁੰਧ ਕਟਾਰੇ ਜੇਵਡਾ ਤਿਨਿ ਲੋਭੀ ਲੋਭ ਲੁਭਾਇਆ ॥

In this shabad what does the word ਮੁੰਧ mean
My understanding of the first pangti is that moree/peacock refers to atma. While ਰੁਣ ਝੁਣ ਲਾਇਆ refers to the sounds of lightning. While ਸਾਵਣੁ refers to the pouring of Amrit, and ਭੈਣੇ referring to Sadh Sangat.

But I have no idea how this relates two the second pangti

Perhaps as usual I am way off

Does ਮੁੰਧ mean closed, thick string or some think else?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

In this shabad what does the word ਮੁੰਧ mean
My understanding of the first pangti is that moree/peacock refers to atma. While ਰੁਣ ਝੁਣ ਲਾਇਆ refers to the sounds of lightning. While ਸਾਵਣੁ refers to the pouring of Amrit, and ਭੈਣੇ referring to Sadh Sangat.

But I have no idea how this relates two the second pangti
Perhaps as usual I am way off
Does ਮੁੰਧ mean closed, thick string or some think else?

Sukhdeep Singh jeeo,

This is one of the most Bairaagmai Shabad in Gurbani. If a Bairagmai Kirtaniya sings this Shabad in a Bairagmai way, then the listener cannot help getting Bairagmai. It is said that Bhai Dilruba jee, one of the companions of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee used to sing this Shabad in the most Bairagmai way.

First Pankiti: Those who have heard the peacocks dancing and doing ਰੁਣ ਝੁਣ (singing) in the month of Sawan (July), know how beautiful that scene is. Here the peacocks represent spiritual companions who are singing Gurbani (ਰੁਣ ਝੁਣ ਲਾਇਆ ) and this way informing the new seeker of the imminent rainfall (spiritual rainfall) that is going to pour soon.

Definition of ਮੁੰਧ: ਮੁੰਧ is such woman who is not married and is very innocent. She has become youth but is still oblivious of the fact that she has become Jawaan (youth). Her body has developed but her mind is still somewhat childish. This is a Sindhi word and the root of this word is Mugdha which means innocent and in some cases also means foolish.

Interpretation of Second Pankiti: This is how this Daas understands this intricate Pankiti: When this ਮੁੰਧ sees her husband, she gets some feeling of attraction towards him. She is unable to bear the loving look that he gives her. Then she says, Your killer look (ਕਟਾਰੇ - knife like look), for the innocent girl that I am (ਮੁੰਧ), is like a rope (ਜੇਵਡਾ) that binds me and you have pulled me towards yourself in such way as the greedy person gets greeded (I hope there is such a word in English) when he sees the object of his greed.

Bhai Jasjit Singh, Bhai MB Singh and other Gurmukhs, please give your thoughts on this Pankiti.

Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh. May Guru Sahib forgive our mistakes while interpreting Gurbani.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Thank you BHai Sahib I really appreciate that explanation it has answered many questions .

I strongly agree that this is a Bairaagmai Shabad . The first time I listened to a recording of this Shabad on the internet by BHai Anoop SIngh Ji I could not stop listening to it.

I hope one day I can listen to this shabad live at a Rainsubaee. Hint Hint for California Sangat, lol
[www.4shared.com]
Bhai Jasjit Singh, Bhai MB Singh and other Gurmukhs, please give your thoughts on this Pankiti.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh

Bhai Sahib Jee after this detailed explanation what this daas can say who do not know any thing about viakhya jio. The Mundh ਮੁੰਧ word seems to be the key word in second Pankiti whose understanding opens up the meaning of entire Pankiti. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee also explained the meaning of Mundh ਮੁੰਧ as women but in this case as you mentioned it indicates unmarried women. One thing daas would like to add is that the Ucharan of ਮੋਰੀ in first Pankiti should be nasal at the end to derive the meaning of peacocks otherwise meaning would be ‘mien’.

With Regards,
Daas
JASJIT SINGH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
>
>
> Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh
>
> Bhai Sahib Jee after this detailed explanation
> what this daas can say who do not know any thing
> about viakhya jio. The Mundh ਮੁੰਧ word
> seems to be the key word in second Pankiti whose
> understanding opens up the meaning of entire
> Pankiti. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee also
> explained the meaning of Mundh ਮੁੰਧ as
> women but in this case as you mentioned it
> indicates unmarried women. One thing daas would
> like to add is that the Ucharan of ਮੋਰੀ in
> first Pankiti should be nasal at the end to derive
> the meaning of peacocks otherwise meaning would be
> ‘mein’.
>
> With Regards,
> Daas

Thanks for mentioning the adding of the bindi I was going to ask that. I was also wondering is ਮੁੰਧ a dehli deepak?
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Guru Pyaro; I did not know that you have expected me in this thread. It is really "very costly" pankiti. I once requested one Bhai Sahib Ji about this Pankiti and he said that he had never been able to be very clear about it. He also told that another wonderful (Kamaal Wala) aspect of this Shabad is that only first pankiti seems to be about raining or singing; but the rest of the Shabad is all Birha.

So kindly note it that I have no knowledge of Arth Bodh. My sources help me. They are silent on this shabad.

Guru Pyaro; I did not know that you have expected me in this thread. It is really "very costly" pankiti. I once requested one Bhai Sahib Ji about this Pankiti and he said that he had never been able to be very clear about it. He also told that another wonderful (Kamaal Wala) aspect of this Shabad is that only first pankiti seems to be about raining or singing; but the rest of the Shabad is all Birha.

MB Singh jeeo, definitely this pankiti is very Mehngi (Costly) and it is interesting to see that all Teekakaars (translators) have done different meanings of this Pankiti. This Shabad is an embodiment of Birha.

The first time I listened to a recording of this Shabad on the internet by BHai Anoop SIngh Ji I could not stop listening to it.

Sukhdeep Singh jeeo, Bhai Anoop Singh's recording of this Shabad is quite old. I heard it about 15 years ago and when I first heard it, I too just loved it and could not stop listening to it.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login