ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

panj singhs ardaas

Posted by 1kaur 
panj singhs ardaas
April 05, 2010 06:30PM
waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!

the following passage is from an english translation of Sakhi Rahit Ki, attributed to Bhai Nand Lal ji.

If anyone encounters an obstacle (in any endeavour) he should serve karah prashad to five Singhs. When these five Singhs have eaten the prashad and recited ardaas, his purposes will all be brought to a satisfactory conclusion.

is this tradition practiced today? what do you think of this?

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: panj singhs ardaas
April 05, 2010 06:35PM
I think this is a very important tradition which has been neglected. In the old days langar and degh was not served to sangat untill served to 5 singhs. I dont know if this tradition is still practiced. I remember my friend who was a mona told me he was inviting 5 Singhs to eat and do ardas so the practice does still take place.
April 05, 2010 08:13PM
hanjee singh jee/kaur jee
daas has been to some smagams held by some puraatan jathai and they still withold this
they serve degh to 5 singhs first and then to the rest of the sangat
April 05, 2010 09:45PM
Five singhs are collectively representing Guru Sahib. Seeking their presence at home, serving them with respect, honor, langar, especially Karah Prashad and detailing them our problem and having them have Ardass for us; is something which is expected from us. We have no better choice than having Panj Singh pray for us.

Following Gurbani Shabad gives more inspiration for that.

ma 4 ||
Fourth Mehl:
ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੇ ਜੀਅ ਕੀ ਸਾਰ ਨ ਜਾਪੈ ਕਿ ਪੂਰੈ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਭਾਵੈ ॥
sathigur kae jeea kee saar n jaapai k poorai sathigur bhaavai ||
The sublime state of the True Guru is not known; no one knows what pleases the Perfect True Guru.
ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾਂ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਵਰਤੈ ਜੋ ਸਿਖਾਂ ਨੋ ਲੋਚੈ ਸੋ ਗੁਰ ਖੁਸੀ ਆਵੈ ॥
gurasikhaan andhar sathiguroo varathai jo sikhaan no lochai so gur khusee aavai ||
Deep within the hearts of His GurSikhs, the True Guru is pervading. The Guru is pleased with those who long for His Sikhs.
ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਆਖੈ ਸੁ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਵਨਿ ਸੁ ਜਪੁ ਕਮਾਵਹਿ ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾਂ ਕੀ ਘਾਲ ਸਚਾ ਥਾਇ ਪਾਵੈ ॥
sathigur aakhai s kaar kamaavan s jap kamaavehi gurasikhaan kee ghaal sachaa thhaae paavai ||
As the True Guru directs them, they do their work and chant their prayers. The True Lord accepts the service of His GurSikhs.
ਵਿਣੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੇ ਹੁਕਮੈ ਜਿ ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾਂ ਪਾਸਹੁ ਕੰਮੁ ਕਰਾਇਆ ਲੋੜੇ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਫਿਰਿ ਨੇੜਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ॥
vin sathigur kae hukamai j gurasikhaan paasahu kanm karaaeiaa lorrae this gurasikh fir naerr n aavai ||
But those who want the GurSikhs to work for them, without the Order of the True Guru - the Guru's Sikhs shall not come near them again.
ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਅਗੈ ਕੋ ਜੀਉ ਲਾਇ ਘਾਲੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਅਗੈ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਵੈ ॥
gur sathigur agai ko jeeo laae ghaalai this agai gurasikh kaar kamaavai ||
One who works diligently for the Guru, the True Guru - the GurSikhs work for him.
ਜਿ ਠਗੀ ਆਵੈ ਠਗੀ ਉਠਿ ਜਾਇ ਤਿਸੁ ਨੇੜੈ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਮੂਲਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ॥
j thagee aavai thagee outh jaae this naerrai gurasikh mool n aavai ||
One who comes to deceive, who rises up and goes out to deceive - the GurSikhs shall never come near him.
ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਆਖਿ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ ॥
breham beechaar naanak aakh sunaavai ||
Nanak proclaims and announces this wisdom of God.
ਜਿ ਵਿਣੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੇ ਮਨੁ ਮੰਨੇ ਕੰਮੁ ਕਰਾਏ ਸੋ ਜੰਤੁ ਮਹਾ ਦੁਖੁ ਪਾਵੈ ॥੨॥
j vin sathigur kae man mannae kanm karaaeae so janth mehaa dhukh paavai ||2||
One who is not pleasing to the Mind of the True Guru may do his deeds, but that being will only suffer in terrible pain. ||2||
April 06, 2010 12:05AM

gsingh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hanjee singh jee/kaur jee
> daas has been to some smagams held by some
> puraatan jathai and they still withold this
> they serve degh to 5 singhs first and then to the
> rest of the sangat

to serve degh to five amritdharis first is part of the sikh rehet maryada. it should be done at every gurdwara and samagam.

i was more interested in the practice of giving prashad to five singhs (alone) specifically for the purpose of their collective ardaas to address a problem. smiling smiley
April 06, 2010 07:53AM
The tradition of taking out Degh for the Punj Pyare is still going on and is not lost, as far as I have noticed. As for doing sewa of Gursikhs by inviting them home is concerned, surely this is our tradition and this tradition too is going on to this day.

Guru Sahib kirpa karan.

Kulbir Singh
April 06, 2010 09:59AM
haha acha bhainjee my bad
im not too familiar with the sikh rehat maryada, but i rarely see this happen at gurdwarai
April 06, 2010 11:33AM
As others have contributed, having five singhs at home for PARSHADA was/is the tradition. People used to go to Gurdwara Sahib and ask the Bhai Sahib Jis there to come as five singhs to their home to have PARSHADA. Those five of course, did the Ardaas as desired by the host. (If for any reason, a big Sangat can not be arranged at home, five can be conveniently requested for an urgent problem ) --------------------As far as the reference to Karah Parshad only is concerned; may be the tranlation in english is not exact. The original text may have slightly different meaning for PARSHAAD. We also use this word for BHOJAN (food).-------------------------Nevertheless, earlier in one of the messages, Veer Kulbir Singh JI have made it a point that preparing Karah Parshad and doing Ardaas in an endeavour is more beneficial than Ardaas only.

The practical part of the tradition for present times is that one may not find Five Singhs for the purpose at many locations. Secondly, we are not ready to share our obstacles with Singhs around us, these days.
April 06, 2010 01:35PM
"As far as the reference to Karah Parshad only is concerned; may be the tranlation in english is not exact. The original text may have slightly different meaning for PARSHAAD. We also use this word for BHOJAN (food)."

This is an excellent point Bhai Sahib has made. It does seem like degh is referred to as Karah Parshaad or Deg in the old rehatnamas, while food is commonly referred to as Parshaad.

For example in the following BHai Sahib refers to degh as Karah Parshaad

[www.sikhitothemax.com]

But in the the following Bhai Sahib refers to "langar" as parshaad.
[www.sikhitothemax.com]

here are some more ancient rehatnameys where food is referred to as Parshaad
[www.sikhitothemax.com]
[www.sikhitothemax.com]
April 06, 2010 01:45PM
thanks veerji for the clarification of prashad. i believe this is very likely an error in translation, as "karah" was in brackets before the word prashad, suggesting it wasn't in the original translation. as the translation was done by a westerner, it's very likely they misinterpreted this word.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login