ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Russian Math Genius with Gursikhi Humility

Posted by Bhagauti 
Russian maths genius Grigory Perelman, who declined a prestigious international award four years ago, is under new pressure to accept a prize.

A US institute wants to give him $1m (£700,000) for solving one of the world's most complex mathematical problems, the Poincare Conjecture.

But it is unclear whether Dr Perelman, a virtual recluse, will pick it up.

A children's charity in St Petersburg, where he lives, has urged him to take the money and give it to charity.

Dr Perelman, 43, has cut himself off from the outside world for the past four years, living with his elderly mother in a tiny flat said by neighbours to be infested with cockroaches.

In an open letter on its website, the Warm Home charity called on Dr Perelman to give the cash equivalent of the US Clay Mathematics Institute's $1m Millennium Prize to Russian charities.

It suggested that the mathematician had already made an ethical point by turning down the Fields Medal, the world's highest prize in mathematics, in 2006.

Appeal for privacy

The mathematician is reported to have said "I have all I want" when contacted by a reporter this week about the Clay Millennium Prize.

According to the UK's Daily Mail newspaper, he was speaking through the closed door of his flat.

Dr Perelman was the first person to turn down the Fields Medal, which would have been presented to him at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Madrid.

"I'm not interested in money or fame," he is quoted to have said at the time.

"I don't want to be on display like an animal in a zoo. I'm not a hero of mathematics. I'm not even that successful; that is why I don't want to have everybody looking at me."

One of Russia's most senior politicians, Federation Council Chairman Sergei Mironov, has appealed for Dr Perelman to be left in peace to make up his own mind.

He suggested that it was "not very decent to look into other people's pockets and count other people's money", Russia's Interfax news agency reports.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Wow! This is so amazing! May Guru sahib bless us with such humility too.

H.S
I'm not sure if living in a cokroach infested flat is the right way to go. If he is being given a prize for his work in the Mathematics field, I see no reason why he should not take it if it improves his living conditions. It's not like he will be gaining the money through deception or fraud.
'Unjaan' ji, please try to see the point 'Bhagauti' ji is making. It would be very uplifting for you if you saw what 'Bhagauti' ji intended for us to see.

Whatever his reasons for not taking the money, he has a quality we all as sikhs of the Guru should have and need to strive to have.

Bhulla chukka muaf ji.

H.S
To me, he is more Tyaagi than humble. Can you imagine, a worldly person refusing a million dollars? And that too by saying "I have all I want", yet we know he does not possess too many worldly possessions. Definitely remarkable.

If such person who has little or no love for worldy possessions, does Bhagti, he can make much progress in little time. Looks like he has Kesh-Daara and all he needs is some inspiration. It is time for Dhadrianwale Baabe to go to Russia! smiling smiley

Kulbir Singh
"Looks like he has Kesh-Daara and all he needs is some inspiration. It is time for Dhadrianwale Baabe to go to Russia!"

Ha ha! That would be great. Otherwise he could come and learn on gurmatbibek with us all smiling smiley

Dhadrainwalae are doing great work in Panjab right now I feel, taking the current situation and the understanding of people Panjab.

H.S
reminds me of the saying "the richest person in the world needs the least amount of things"

historically nearly all mathematicians and physicists had long hair and long beards.
Waheguru Ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh

Many thanks to Bhai Sahib Bhagauti jee to bring this gem to Sangat's attention. We must learn from this avastha. This article also reminded me the incident of Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Jee when he refused to get any reward from Indian State for his great service to country when Chief Minister of Punjab Sardar Partap Singh Karon went himself to Bhai Sahib at Narangwal to present him the reward from Pandit Nehru (then Prime minister of India), not only that Bhai Sahib even refused to get back his own ancestral real estate. This mathematician is surely a humble rooh and daas pray for Satnaam gift for him because the state he have now with Satnaam he can progress like a launch of a Rocket for space station. As far as Dhadrianwale Baabe, yaah he should really visit Russia as see how humbleness exist there. Parchaar does not require shiny cars.

With Regards,
Daas,
Jasjit singh
Why Dhadrian Wale; why not Kulbir Singh Ji to contact him ?smiling smiley

Prof. Puran Singh in his writtings is very open on such points. He calls Emerson, a poet of the west; a sikh of Guru Nanak. Similarly, the russian scientist, seems to be a lost brother of ours.

Do contact him.

Why Dhadrian Wale; why not Kulbir Singh Ji to contact him ?

Very funny! It made me laugh a lot. Tussi hee kirpa karo hunn, Russia jaan dee.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login