ਮੈਲੁ ਖੋਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਅਘ ਹਰੇ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਭਏ ਚੀਤਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

ਐਸੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਗੋਵਿੰਦ ਕੀ ਕੀਟਿ ਹਸਤੀ ਜੀਤਾ ॥

ਜੋ ਜੋ ਕੀਨੋ ਆਪਨੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਅਭੈ ਦਾਨੁ ਦੀਤਾ ॥੨॥

ਸਿੰਘੁ ਬਿਲਾਈ ਹੋਇ ਗਇਓ ਤ੍ਰਿਣੁ ਮੇਰੁ ਦਿਖੀਤਾ ॥

ਸ੍ਰਮੁ ਕਰਤੇ ਦਮ ਆਢ ਕਉ ਤੇ ਗਨੀ ਧਨੀਤਾ ॥੩॥

ਕਵਨ ਵਡਾਈ ਕਹਿ ਸਕਉ ਬੇਅੰਤ ਗੁਨੀਤਾ ॥

ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਮੋਹਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦੇਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਰ ਸਰੀਤਾ ॥੪॥੭॥੩੭॥

In the following pangti I was wondering is the following word ਸ੍ਰਮੁ sharam ( shame) or saram ( effort) . Its hard to tell because the meanings could mean eitherone since in this pauri Guru Sahib is talking both about humility/shame and effort/work.

I remember in a previous forum you mentioned that its is Saram when the word proceeding is Masculine and/or if the word has a Aunkar at the end. It fits both this descriptions. You also mentioned if raara is at the foot of Sassa, it is almost always in the meaning of hard work. But then you also mentioned there a few exceptions . Is this one execption?

Also in the following pangti is there a pause after ਕਰਤੇ

In the following pangti is Guru Sahib saying by becoming humble in the Sadh Sangat ones meagre attempt of abhyiaas would come in abundance ( maximum laha)

Or By working hard in Sadh Sangat , a poor person ( one lacking In naam) will become rich ( get much naam)?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Sharam or Saram
March 22, 2010 09:50PM

I think; SHARAM could not be the possible meaning here. How a man having a feeling of curse for himself due to less money, could be the blessed one. So, SARAM seems to be the only possible meaning.
March 23, 2010 06:26AM
In Gurbani the word Sharam comes from two backgrounds - Farsi and Sanskrit. A detailed analysis of this word will be done at a later date but for now the use of this word in the pankiti in question is hard work i.e. the Sanskrit word. The Sanskrit word is: श्रम which means hardwork or labour.

(Ones who were working very hard for half paisa became so rich that they are now counted as very rich)

Here the word ਸ੍ਰਮੁ means श्रम i.e. hardwork, labour. The pronunciation in this case is to use the Vishesh Dhuni under Sassa i.e. the word ਸ੍ਰਮੁ should be pronounced as ਸ਼੍ਰਮ

Kulbir Singh
March 23, 2010 11:15AM
ਸਰਮ ਖੰਡ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਰੂਪੁ ॥
The sharam that appears in japjee sahib, meaning humility
I've always pronounced it with a bindee.

Is there 3 types of Sharm in BaNee?. They seem very simliar
March 24, 2010 06:45AM

ਸਰਮ ਖੰਡ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਰੂਪੁ ॥
The sharam that appears in japjee sahib, meaning humility
I've always pronounced it with a bindee.

ਸਰਮ here means honour or Laaj. This is the Khand where those individuals who have become the candidates of Vaheguru jee's Mehar, Fazal, Kirpa, arrive and then move on to higher Khands. In this Khand Beauty is Pardhaan. Everything is just very beautiful.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login