ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Who should we listen to? Bhai Vir Singh jee or Bhai Nandlal jee

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Sangat is urged to have some fun here. Here is a little problem that Sangat is requested to solve.

Bhai MB Singh in a different post wrote that Bhai Vir Singh jee has written:

ਹੋਸ਼ਾਂ ਨਾਲੋਂ ਮਸਤੀ ਚੰਗੀ ਜਿਹੜੀ ਰਖਦੀ ਸਦਾ ਠਿਕਾਣੇ।

Bhai Vir Singh jee in the above couplet is saying that Masti is better than Hosh.

ਦਰ ਮਜ਼ਹਬੇ ਮਾ, ਗੈਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਤੀ ਨ ਕੁਨਦ।
ਸਰ ਤ ਬ ਕਦਮ ਬਾਹੋਸ਼ ਵਾ ਮਸਤੀ ਨ ਕੁਨਦ।

(In my Mazhab i.e. religion, worship of anyone other than Vaheguru is not done. From head to the toe Gurmukhs stay awake (Baa-hosh) and they don't do Masti)

Bhai Nandlal jee is saying that Masti is prohibited and Hosh is Gurmat.

Bhai Vir Singh says Masti is good and Hosh is bad but Bhai Nandlal jee is saying that Masti is bad and Hosh is good.

Both Bhai Vir Singh jee and Bhai Nandlal jee were Gurmukhs of high calibre. Who do we listen to here?

Sadhsangat jeeo, please post solution to this riddle. Daas will post his views later on.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
khaalsaajee,
vaaheguroo jee kaa khaalsaa! vaaheguroo jee kee fateh!

There's masti in maya and masti in naam. I think Bh. Veer Singh ji is referring to masti in naam and Bhai Nandlaal jee is referring to masti in maya.

My two cents.
vaaheguroo jee kaa khaalsaa! vaaheguroo jee kee fateh!
WaheGuru Jee Ka Khalsa
WaheGuru Jee Kee Fateh,
A classic examples of using the same word in similar context but carries an alternative meaning. The aforementioned context of Bhai Vir Singh Jee and Bhai Nand Lal Jee is the same of "Naam Khumari", but, each used the same word "MASTI" pointing towards alternative meaning.

Bhai Vir Singh Jee's choice of word "MASTI" = ""Naam Khamari"
Bhai Nand Laa Jee's choice of work "MASTI" = Manmat

A great example of how subtle change in poetry can completely alter the meaning of a word.

WaheGuru Jee Ka Khalsa
WaheGuru Jee Kee Fateh
Veer Ji; We have "Masti" here too.

Guru Sahib:

ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਪੀਆ ਸੇ ਮਸਤ ਭਏ ਹੈ ਤੂਟੇ ਬੰਧਨ ਫਾਹੇ ॥
jinh peeaa sae masath bheae hai thoottae bandhhan faahae ||
Those who drink it in are enraptured; their bonds and shackles are cut away.
ਜੋਤੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਮਾਣੀ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਤਾ ਛੋਡੇ ਮਾਇਆ ਕੇ ਲਾਹੇ ॥੨॥
jothee joth samaanee bheethar thaa shhoddae maaeiaa kae laahae ||2||
When one's light blends into the Divine Light, then the desire for Maya is ended. ||2||

Bhai Gurdaas Ji:

ਪਾਤਿਸਾਹਾਂ ਦੀ ਮਜਲਸੈ ਪਿਰਮੁ ਪਿਆਲਾ ਪੀਵਣ ਭਾਰੀ
paatisaahaan dee majalasai piramu piaalaa peevan bhaaree|
In the assembly of the kings it is very difficult to drink the cup of love.
ਸਾਕੀ ਹੋਇ ਪੀਲਾਵਣਾ ਉਲਸ ਪਿਆਲੈ ਖਰੀ ਖੁਮਾਰੀ ।
saakee hoi peelaavanaa ulas piaalai kharee khumaaree|
The Guru becomes the beloved butler and makes one drink it, the delight of His tasted cup becomes multiplied.
ਭਾਇ ਭਗਤਿ ਭੈ ਚਲਣਾ ਮਸਤ ਅਲਮਸਤ ਸਦਾ ਹੁਸਿਆਰੀ ।
bhaai bhagati bhai chalanaa masat alamasat sadaa husiaaree|
Whosoever moves in the fear of loving devotion, he being carefree of the worldliness remains alert.
ਭਗਤ ਵਛਲੁ ਹੋਇ ਭਗਤਿ ਭੰਡਾਰੀ ॥੧॥
bhagat vachhalu hoi bhagati bhandaaree ॥1॥
Kind to the devotees, God, becomes their caretaker and fulfils all their desires.

PS: If possible, please quote full RUBAEE of Bhai Veer Singh Ji.

Kee Hoaa Te Kikun Hoa Khap Khap Mare Syane.-------------------------------------
There is no need to write anything in the light of responses above. Basically both Gurmukhs have used the words Masti and Hosh in different context. Bhai Nandlal jee is talking about Masti of Maya and Hosh of Naam. Bhai Vir Singh jee on the other hand is talking about Masti of Naam and Hosh of Maya. This is the beauty of Poetry.

I will try to find the full Rubayee of Bhai Vir Singh and post it here. If someone else can find it, it would be great.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login