March 16, 2010 12:01PM
ਫਰੀਦਾ ਰੋਟੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਕਾਠ ਕੀ ਲਾਵਣੁ ਮੇਰੀ ਭੁਖ ॥
Fareed, my bread is made of wood it satisfies my hunger

ਜਿਨਾ ਖਾਧੀ ਚੋਪੜੀ ਘਣੇ ਸਹਨਿਗੇ ਦੁਖ ॥੨੮॥
Those who eat bread full of butter, will suffer in terrible pain. ||28||

ਰੁਖੀ ਸੁਖੀ ਖਾਇ ਕੈ ਠੰਢਾ ਪਾਣੀ ਪੀਉ ॥
Eat dry bread, and drink cold water.

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਦੇਖਿ ਪਰਾਈ ਚੋਪੜੀ ਨਾ ਤਰਸਾਏ ਜੀਉ ॥੨੯॥
Fareed, if you see someone else's buttered bread, do not envy him for it. ||29||

What a wonderful message Bhagat Fareed Ji is reciting about gaining santokh.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Bhagat Fareed Ji !
March 16, 2010 12:23PM
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh

What a wonderful message Bhagat Fareed Ji is reciting about gaining santokh.

Hanjee bhai Sahib jio very true, because "ਬਿਨਾ ਸੰਤੋਖ ਨਹੀ ਕੋਊ ਰਾਜੈ" ॥ Without contentment, no one is sated. May Guru Sahib shower his mercy to obtain that state.

With Regards,
Daas,
Jasjit Singh
March 16, 2010 02:39PM
Below is an old writeupby this Daas on this topic:

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਰੋਟੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਕਾਠ ਕੀ ਲਾਵਣੁ ਮੇਰੀ ਭੁਖ ॥
ਜਿਨਾ ਖਾਧੀ ਚੋਪੜੀ ਘਣੇ ਸਹਨਿਗੇ ਦੁਖ ॥28॥

ਕਾਠ means wood and ਲਾਵਣੁ means sabjee or daal that we eat with roti. Chopree roti is that roti on which ghee or butter is applied.

No one eats wooden roti. Some historians made up stories like Baba Farid jee used to hang a piece of wood around his neck and whenever he felt hungry he used to chew on that wood. This is absurd and not eating food is not acceptable in Gurmat.

Baba jee is teaching us to be satisfied in whatever kind of food we can afford by earning honestly i.e. food that is bought using honest earnings is the only food acceptable in Gurmat. One’s who eat delicious and rich food prepared through dishonest earnings will go through a lot of suffering.

In the light of above introduction, the meanings of this pankiti would be as follows:

O Farid, My roti is hard like wood (roti prepared using cheap grains like Jau or Bajra as opposed to soft wheat roti) and my hunger is so strong that it serves as daal or sabjee for me. (When one is extremely hungry, one does not care about taste. Tasteless food too tastes very tasty when one is hungry. So Baba Farid jee’s hunger serves as his daal and sabji). Ones who eat delicious soft wheat rotis applied with ghee or butter (and earned through dishonest means, or not belonging to you) will suffer immensely.

To interpret this to mean that one should avoid applying gheo on roti is not understanding this pankiti. If ghee had been bad, Guru Sahib would not have used it in langar. It is known that Guru ka Langar was very rich during the Guru period and they even used to put gheo in kheer as written in Ramkali ki Vaar – ਲੰਗਰਿ ਦਉਲਤਿ ਵੰਡੀਐ ਰਸੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਖੀਰਿ ਘਿਆਲੀ ॥ (Mata Khivi distributes wealth in Langar; she distributes sweet and delicious Kheer (rice pudding) mixed with Gheo in langar).

The issue here is to be contented in whatever Guru Sahib has blessed us with. One can do ardaas but to covet someone else's food or to resort to dishonest means to get what you want is not right.

Baani is Agam Agaadh Bodh. May Guru Sahib forgive my mistakes in interpreting the above pankiti.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
March 16, 2010 05:40PM
[www.youtube.com]
March 16, 2010 05:41PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EHK4rsl_wo&feature=related
March 16, 2010 05:47PM
Beautiful recording of the above pangti ( at 7:30)

[www.youtube.com]
March 16, 2010 06:10PM
This pangti reminds me of the rehatnamey that say do not covet another persons wealth or woman instead remember WaaheGuru and be content with whatever you have.

Even though I agree with Bhai Sahib that eating through honest means is the only sanctioned food for a Gursikh. I dont think this above pangti is referring to this concept. Bhagat Fareed Ji did Bhagti for 12 years as a vairagi so I dont think this particular pangti is referring to working and eating from honest means. Instead I think Fareed Ji is referring to as living as an inner hermit and accepting things as they are instead of desiring for things to be better or more convenient. He uses food as an analogy to explain his message.

When ever we put butter on parshadey it becomes soft. If we dont put butter on the roti then it becomes hard like wood. Well at least the parshaday I make become hard with out butter,lol. His natural hunger is his sabji and he satisfies this hunger through simple food. He has no desire for delicious food like sugar or sweet milk. His only desire is for Naam.

ਰਸੁ ਘੋੜੇ ਰਸੁ ਸੇਜਾ ਮੰਦਰ ਰਸੁ ਮੀਠਾ ਰਸੁ ਮਾਸੁ ॥
ਏਤੇ ਰਸ ਸਰੀਰ ਕੇ ਕੈ ਘਟਿ ਨਾਮ ਨਿਵਾਸੁ ॥੨॥

the pleasure of horses, the pleasure of a soft bed in a palace, the pleasure of sweet food and meat. these pleasures are of the human body; under the bodies desires how can Naam reside in the heart? ||2||
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login