Advanced

Why? Well, here is why

Posted by Mehtab Singh 
Why? Well, here is why
January 19, 2010 10:56AM
Gurbani says

ਸਾਜਨੜਾ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਾਜਨੜਾ ਨਿਕਟਿ ਖਲੋਇਅੜਾ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਾਜਨੜਾ ॥
saajanarraa maeraa saajanarraa nikatt khaloeiarraa maeraa saajanarraa ||
Friend, my Friend - standing so near to me is my Friend!

Have you wondered why is the term khaloeiarraa used? "khaloeiarraa" comes from "khalotha", which means to stand. An armed guard standing is always perceived to be on alert. A guard sitting down can lose his alertness in carrying out his duties. You may be sitting, standing, lying down, walking, running, or doing whatever. But your Guru is always khaloeiarraa near you. But how far is He standing? He is "nikatt" which means nearby or closeby.

That is how much Vaheguru loves us. He stands close to us, guarding us like a guard, watching over us like a mother, instructing us like a teacher, and at times scolds us like a father.

ਜੈਸਾ ਬਾਲਕੁ ਭਾਇ ਸੁਭਾਈ ਲਖ ਅਪਰਾਧ ਕਮਾਵੈ ॥
jaisaa baalak bhaae subhaaee lakh aparaadhh kamaavai ||
Like the child, innocently making thousands of mistakes

ਕਰਿ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਝਿੜਕੇ ਬਹੁ ਭਾਤੀ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਪਿਤਾ ਗਲਿ ਲਾਵੈ ॥
kar oupadhaes jhirrakae bahu bhaathee bahurr pithaa gal laavai ||
his father teaches him, and scolds him so many times, but still, he hugs him close in his embrace.

He embraces us after scolding us. This scolding is very sweet.

Because

ਜੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਝਿੜਕੇ ਤ ਮੀਠਾ ਲਾਗੈ ਜੇ ਬਖਸੇ ਤ ਗੁਰ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥25॥
jae gur jhirrakae th meet(h)aa laagai jae bakhasae th gur vaddiaaee ||25||
Even if the Guru rebukes me, He still seems very sweet to me. And if He actually forgives me, that is the Guru's greatness. ||25||

Over and over in Gurbani, we are reminded as to how much bounties Gurujee showers on us. Over and over we are encouraged, we are motivated, we are consoled. Repeatedly we are told that He is always accepting, tolerant, forgiving. And then several times we are slapped in the face when our thankless nature is shown to us. We are told how forgetful we are about Vaheguru, and never thank or remember Him.

We are repeatedly asked

ਐਸਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਤਿਆਗਿ ਅਵਰ ਕਤ ਲਾਗਹੁ ॥
aisaa prabh thiaag avar kath laagahu ||
Why forsake God, and attach yourself to another?

So what is the reason we thiaag such an All-Loving Parmeshvar?

The reason is simple.

ਮਾਧੋ ਹਮ ਐਸੇ ਤੂ ਐਸਾ ॥
maadhho ham aisae thoo aisaa ||
O Lord, this is what we are, and this is what You are.

That is the way we are. This one tuk exposes the helpless nature of us. This is the way we are.

ਤੁਮ ਕਰਹੁ ਭਲਾ ਹਮ ਭਲੋ ਨ ਜਾਨਹ ਤੁਮ ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਦਇਆਲਾ ॥
thum karahu bhalaa ham bhalo n jaaneh thum sadhaa sadhaa dhaeiaalaa ||
You do good for us, but we do not see it as good; You are kind and compassionate, forever and ever.

Thankless!! That is what we are. And yet, He is sadhaa sadhaa dhaeiaalaa. He is always showering His grace on us, 24/7, non-stop, without us even noticing it. He is khaloeiarraa and that too so nikatt to us, 24/7, non-stop, without us even noticing it.

These are just my thoughts running in my head. Please forgive me if I said something incorrect.

After all, this is what I am

ਗਲੀਂ ਅਸੀ ਚੰਗੀਆ ਆਚਾਰੀ ਬੁਰੀਆਹ ॥
gala(n)aee asee cha(n)geeaa aachaaree bureeaah ||
We are good at talking, but our actions are bad.

ਮਨਹੁ ਕੁਸੁਧਾ ਕਾਲੀਆ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਚਿਟਵੀਆਹ ॥
manahu kusudhhaa kaaleeaa baahar chittaveeaah ||
Mentally, we are impure and black, but outwardly, we appear white.

~ Mehtab Singh
Jan 24 2009
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login