ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Importance of Gurmukhi Baana

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Importance of Gurmukhi Baana
December 22, 2009 07:09PM
We all are at different levels of spirituality. When we talk about Khalsa, we talk about the ultimate human. Khalsa is the Soldier of Akal Purakh. Of course it has a uniform. There is a uniform at spiritual level and a uniform at physical level.

At physical level, Khalsa uniform is as follows:

1) Doohra Dastaara (two turbans) - The keski or the small turban should be at least so long that it can go around our head three times. The Dastaara should be at least 5 yards long. The dastaara ideally should be Blue and Keski should be yellow. Other allowable colours are Yellow, White and Black.

2) Dastaara should be adorned with Shasters like Khanda, chakkar. These Sarblohi ornaments of Baba Deep Singh jee, meant to be worn on the Dastara are still available today at Siri Akal Takhat Sahib. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee used to wear Khanda, Chakra on his dastaar.

3) Gurmat Baana: Ideally Khalsa should wear Chola and Kachherra but historically we see that prominent Sikh figures and personalities also wore Gurmat style Kurta Pajama, Achkan etc. Akali Kaur Singh jee Nihung, who was considered the jathedar of all Nihungs used to wear Achkan most of the times. He led Nihung Dals at the time of Holla Mahalla.

4) Punj Kakaars - These kakaars have been blessed by Siri Guru jee and must stay on Khalsa 24/7.

At spiritual level, a Khalsa should be armed with Sat (truthfulness), Santok (contentment), Sanjam (patience, carefulness), Nimrata (humility), and above all Naam and Gurbani.

On the face of Khalsa should reside the divine happiness and Anand that comes from Naam Abhyaas. Khalsa should be free of worries. Worry and Khalsa can't stay together. Worry is inversely related to faith in Guru Sahib. Higher the faith, lower the worry or chinta.

Daahra (beard) should be straight and un-tied. A person tying his daahra can never be classified as Khalsa. A person ties his daahra out of fear of the world or other such worries. Khalsa can have no worry and has no fear. How can a Khalsa tie his beard for such reasons? Impossible! However, in circumstances where the daahra is in a danger or getting damaged, it’s okay to be careful and take precautions including covering it or tying it loosely but to wear fixo and use other such chemicals or wear that string around the beard does not seem to be right.

What can one say in praise of Khalsa? Siri Guru Dasmesh jee has written volumes in praise of Khalsa and has gone as far as calling Khalsa - "Mera Satgur Poora". Such "Satgur Poora" is dressed up in pooran Khalsa attire.

Some people claim that the only thing that a Khalsa must wear is 5 Kakaars and that there is no restriction on attire that Khalsa can wear. With respect to this, please ponder upon the following points:

1) Can we imagine the Punj Pyare wearing knickers and tee shirts? How about suits and ties? The fact that Punj Pyare from all organizations and sects within Sikh faith, wear the same attire proves that there is a required attire for Khalsa.

2) Sikh women too are part of Khalsa Panth. If we go with the argument that only 5 Kakaars are mandatory for Khalsa, then one could argue that keeping up with modern times, it should be okay for Sikh Khalsa woman to wear very little clothes or no clothes other than Kachherra. Can we imagine our Khalsa sisters and daughters wearing revealing Western clothes? This proves that there is a restriction to the kind of clothing one can wear once one becomes part of the Panth.

3) Gurbani makes it clear that if one wears wrong clothing it would bring bad time on one. baabaa hor painan khusee khuaar || jith paidhhai than peerreeai man mehi chalehi vikaar ||1|| rehaao || Gurbani clearly says that wearing such clothing that makes one’s mind (and others’ minds) polluted should be avoided.

It is imperative that Khalsa wears baana as much as possible. Ideally one should wear it all the time but if some Gursikhs have a problem wearing it at work or other such places, they should at least resolve to wear it at all times where possible. When going to store for shopping or when going to other such places, there is no reason to not wear Gurmukhi baana. If all Gursikhs start wearing baana, it would make life easy for all because it would make Gurmukhi baana acceptable in the eyes of others. Guru Sahib Kirpa karan.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Importance of Gurmukhi Baana
December 22, 2009 07:41PM

3) Gurmat Baana: Ideally Khalsa should wear Chola and Kachherra but historically we see that prominent Sikh figures and personalities also wore Gurmat style Kurta Pajama, Achkan etc. Akali Kaur Singh jee Nihung, who was considered the jathedar of all Nihungs used to wear Achkan most of the times. He led Nihung Dals at the time of Holla Mahalla.

what about Singhnia? we can't wear chola with kachhera only. we don't wear kurta pajama, achkan, etc... are punjabi suits acceptable? are pajamee ok with chola? what are your thoughts?
Bhain jeeo, chola, chooridaar pajaami, Khalsaee Dastaara and White hazooria around the neck is the most ideal attire for Khalsa Bibiyaan. I will try to attach a picture or two of Bibiyaan in this baana, later on. They don't need to introduce themselves to anyone. They look like daughters of Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee because of their Khalsa Baana.

Kulbir Singh
December 22, 2009 09:12PM
veerji, what are your thoughts on simple salwar suits for bibia? when i see photos of bhai sahib randhir singh's singhni, she used to wear a plain suit. same about bibi amarjit kaur and other singhnia of famous gursikhs. is this plain and traditional dress anti-gurmat?
Bhain jeeo, I personally don't think simple Punjabi suits are anti-Gurmat because as you pointed out Bibiyaan at the time of Bhai Sahib used to wear them but as this humble daas wrote in his previous post, wearing Chola-Pajaami-Hazooriya-Dastaara is something else and much superior. Also note that Cunningham has written that Sikh Bibiyaan are distinguished from women of other religions also by their dress. This proves that originally their dress must have been different from Salwar-kameez. I don't have a problem with Salwar Kameez as it too is a respectable dress for respectable women but Baana is something else. No comparison. One realizes the greatness of baana only after wearing it.

Please refer to the following extract about Mata Kartar Kaur (wife of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee):

"The following was found in a old newspaper describing the yearly gathering of the Central Sikh League in October 1920 .

On one side of the hall, the daughters of Mata Sahib Kaur were appearing. At this, our royal meeting, the Singhnis present appeared to the Panth in the image of Mai Bhago. From amongst them, Bibi Kartar Kaur jee (wife of Bhai Randhir Singh ji) was in the uniform of an Akali of old. It was said that she was in truth the picture of a female Singh of ancient times" [Akali Newspaper, October 23, 1920, page 2]

Mata jee was dressed like an Akali of Guru Sahib's time in a chola and dumalla and shastar. What an amazing sight it must have been

The above has been taken from the following url:

[www.tapoban.org]

Similarly Mata Bhaag Kaur jee used to dress in full Akali baana with all shasters-basters.

Kulbir Singh
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We all are at different levels of spirituality.
> When we talk about Khalsa, we talk about the
> ultimate human. Khalsa is the Soldier of Akal
> Purakh. Of course it has a uniform. There is a
> uniform at spiritual level and a uniform at
> physical level.
>
>
> 3) Gurmat Baana: Ideally Khalsa should wear Chola
> and Kachherra but historically we see that
> prominent Sikh figures and personalities also wore
> Gurmat style Kurta Pajama, Achkan etc. Akali Kaur
> Singh jee Nihung, who was considered the jathedar
> of all Nihungs used to wear Achkan most of the
> times. He led Nihung Dals at the time of Holla
> Mahalla.
>

> Daas,
> Kulbir Singh

I was talking to another Singh today and he was mentioning to me that Kurta Pajama cannot be classified as Baana. I told him I consider it to be Baana because it simple clothing which is very much like chola the only major difference is the pajama.He then classified Kurta Pajama as " a western creation", and " an Indian national dress". He further explained that many Hindus and Muslims were Kurta Pajamey, while only Sikhs wear the warrior Baana ( chola). While the color and style of the Sikh Kurta Pajama ( white and blue) make it different from the Muslim style Kurta Pajama the Singh did make a good point that chola is most distinct amongst other dresses/uniforms. So is the Kurta Pajama considered part of Baana? When did Singhs start wearing Kurta pajamey?

I was talking to another Singh today and he was mentioning to me that Kurta Pajama cannot be classified as Baana. I told him I consider it to be Baana because it simple clothing which is very much like chola the only major difference is the pajama.He then classified Kurta Pajama as " a western creation", and " an Indian national dress". He further explained that many Hindus and Muslims were Kurta Pajamey, while only Sikhs wear the warrior Baana ( chola).

As per my humble understanding, Gurmukhi Baana is that attire that is acceptable attire for Gursikhs to wear. The Kurta-Pajaami is an acceptable Baana for Gursikhs and does fall under Gurmukhi Baana. As for Chola being the dress of only Sikhs, the Mughal royalty (both men and women) too used to wear Cholay. Just the colours they used were not simple as in case of Khalsa Cholay.

Within Cholay too there are many kinds of cholay. There are Cholay that Nihung Singhs wear and they open from the front and then the Cholay that Sant Bhindranwale used to wear were not Nihung-like but more like Kurtay but were longer and wider (more Kaliyaan). They are also called Sant-Cholay and are acceptable attire for Gursikhs.

It does not matter if other quoms or people used to wear Kurta-Pajaami or Cholay but what matters is that traditionally for Gursikhs these dresses have been part of the overall Baana. So as per my meagre understanding, Cholay (all styles), and Kurtay Pajaami are part of Khalsa Attire.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
April 07, 2010 01:31PM
Beautiful
images
of my
Sikh sisters

I think bana brings out the inner beauty of bibian - we shouldn't feel reluctant to put on the same bana as our veers.
But it's also important to remember that bana is a blessing from Guruji. If a Kaur (or a Singh) does not wear full bana, it does not mean they are not regardless blessed in other respects in terms of their Gursikhi. I myself have not yet been blessed with full bana, but I do hope to one day wear the full dress of the Khalsa... I don't feel that I deserve it yet, and I'm waiting for my Guru's kirpa.

I think bana's alot prettier than suits anyway smiling smiley

I myself have not yet been blessed with full bana, but I do hope to one day wear the full dress of the Khalsa... I don't feel that I deserve it yet, and I'm waiting for my Guru's kirpa.

SK jeeo, Gurmukhi Baana is not worn when one reaches a certain spiritual Avastha but like other Rehit, it is part of the Rehit that we should strive to keep as much as possible, from the beginning stages of spirituality. Kirpa comes as soon as we start wearing Baana. A special circle of Guru Sahib's Kirpa is felt when one wears Baana.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
This is a difficult one. Guru Gobind Singh Jee has clearly stated only one who has jot prakaash is khalsa, whoever does not is nikhalas. This makes sense that one can only be khaalas (pure) if one has jot prakash.

pUrn joq jgY Gt mY qb Kwls qwih nKwls jwnY ]
pooran joth jagai ghatt mai thab khaalas thaahi nakhaalas jaanai |

So is it right to act and dress like khalsa if we are not really khalsa on the inside?
The reality is in pratan times as soon as you shakked amrit jot prakash would appear, but this doesn't really happen nowadays.

So is it right to act and dress like khalsa if we are not really khalsa on the inside?
The reality is in pratan times as soon as you shakked amrit jot prakash would appear, but this doesn't really happen nowadays.

Dear Sarblohlove,

When we keep Guru Sahib's rehit are we not acting like Khalsa? When we wear Kakaars, Dastaara, get up at Amritvela, and obey Bibek Rehit, are we not acting like Khalsa? Gursikhs don't start wearing Baana to show the world that they have reached a certain spiritual state. That would be pure Haume. Gursikhs who wear Baana, wear it considering it to be Hukam of Guru Sahib.

Like the Shabad you quoted, there are numerous Shabads that define a Sikh, Gursikh etc. It is hard to qualify as a Sikh, as per these Shabads but if someone asks us our religion, we don't deny that we are Sikhs. It is true that we are not complete and perfect Sikhs but we are not Hindus, Muslims or Christians either. We must realize that through these Shabads, Guru Sahib is informing us of the high benchmarks of a Sikh or a Khalsa but this does not mean that ones who don't have Jyot-Prakash are not Sikhs or Khalsa. One who has given his head to Guru Sahib, received Amrit and Naam from Guru Sahib and then keeps the Rehit of Guru Sahib is no doubt a Khalsa or a Sikh.

Dear Gursikh, the Shabad that you quoted mentions ਖਾਲਸ and not ਖਾਲਸਾ. Even though both of these words are from Farsi language but they are two different words. ਖਾਲਸ and ਨਖਾਲਸ mean pure but ਖਾਲਸਾ on the other hand means "Emperor's own". Such property that is directly under the control of the Emperor as opposed to the administration, is called ਖਾਲਸਾ. A Gurmukh of Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee's house is Vaheguru's own, hence is his Khalsa. There are many hukamnamas of Guru Sahib (even Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib's) where it is mentioned "ਤੁਸੀ ਮੇਰਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਹੋ" or "ਸਰਬਤ ਸੰਗਤ ਮੇਰਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਹੈ". This proves that this word means "Guru Sahib's own".

In olden days, Amrit was not given without Baana. Even today many Sikh organization make Baana mandatory e.g. Nihung Jathebandis. They have still preserved this Rehit to this day. Many Jatha Gursikhs always stay in Baana, considering it to be Hukam of Guru Sahib. I am not saying that ones who wear patloon-shirt (pant shirt) are inferior or anything. All I am saying is that Baana is part of the Rehit and a Gursikh should strive to keep this Rehit as much as possible. Where there is a problem e.g. job, it is understandable if one wears Patloon-shirt but to wear it anywhere else e.g. at home, Gurdwara Sahib, while shopping at stores etc. is not acceptable and is definitely a Dhil (weakness in Rehit). This is what this Daas has learned in the Sangat of Gursikhs and from Gurmat literature. Bhul Chuk dee Maafi jee.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
April 08, 2010 09:26AM
the bana is a beautiful thing which guru sahib jee has given us. Only in circumstances of work should be allowed to not wear it. Though you can still wear a juggee (small bana) underneath

The khalsa is a distinct nation

Here are a few images that really inspire dass

Below is a small extract from Bhai Kaur Singh Jees Khalsa Vidhaan on Bana

When we have taken birth in the house of the Guru, our past life is gone. Before, the lifestyle the world had in accordance with the three virtues (Sato-Rajo-Tamo) is gone. Every bit has changed. Now we have to acknowledge and accept the traditions of Guru Sahibs house. Bhai Sahib Khan Singh Ji Nabha in his book Mahan Kosh has told us who we should love and idolise, what to eat and drink, we start loving Gurus baNa. Our dress becomes like Singhs (all worldly fashions stop).

Which BaNa is this?

BaNa is alike for both Singhs and Singhneeaa. On the head there should be the round Dumaalaa (Not Nokhdhaar Pagh; I dont know when this fashion started, originally the Pagh was round. See Bhai Khan Singhs Mahan Kosh and the photo at the back of Ram Raj tract).

Chola should be worn along with Kamar Kassa (belt around waist) and Kacherra (up to knees). In the olden days when the Khalsa was fighting many battles, Singhs and Singhneeaa had the exact same baNa. Even the Singhneeaa fought like the Singhs. (See "Ram Raj" book). Dumaalai with Chakars ( iron quoits) were worn to fend off blows from the Sword and kept the Dumaala strong and steady. They also work as Shastars (weapons). Until Raja Ranjit Singhs reign all women were donned in turbans – whose name, according to Rehatnamas was ‘Keski’ (5th Kakkar). Afterwards, we don’t know what happened, but weakness has crept into this Rehat also. The person who brought this weakness in the panth is Gianee Gurmukh Singh Musaafar. When he was Jathedar of Akaal Takhat, he stopped women from wearing Dastaar at the Takhat Sahib, before this it was seen mandatory for women to wear Dastaar. Amrit was not given without the Dastaar.
Vah ji!
You have cleared my doubts on this topic.
Inspired by all these posts, I feel Bana has multiple effects on us. It is definitely supposed to bring Chardi Kala. We need it most, when we do not have Chardi Kala. Blue color brings feelings of confidence, according to researchers. Colors change our mood. Both Blue and Kesri are related with happiness & chardi kala.

The moment we adorn it in routine; we get rid of the burden of having so many dresses and the mental pressures related with purchase, upkeep, selection etc of these dresses. Freedom from daily stress of making choices between different dresses is an important benefit, we get with bana.
After all, the time & energy we waste on our clothing requirement; is it justified? The world is mad after fashion and clothings. We as sikhs can not afford to keep their track. We have to give our fashion statement to the world. You are no longer allowed to keep your sikh faith hidden from public. They have to know that a community of saints is there to be noticed.

Moreover; we have to boost each other too. Darshan of Singhs with Bana brings much more Chardi Kala. So by wearing Bana, we do a service to our community too. Somebody is going to be uplifted mentally, by seeing you with bana.

Having said all that, I confess yet devoid of complete Bana.
Mb Singh jio, you have said it perfectly. Wearing bana changes ones whole prespective. Nothing matches wearing bana on a daily basis. I personaly don't feel this is something anyone can push or explain to anyone. It is something one has to do themselves to feel the wonderful effect of wearing bana everywhere. Guru sahib has blessed His Sikhs with so many gifts and bana is one of them. Without bana a Sikh is bare. Infact, keeping the rehit of bana creates such a gaurd on a gursikh that the gursikh feels a fulltime duty. The dastar is part of this gurmukhi bana. The bana does not start and end on the head but follows down the rest of the body.

Bana rehit has to be kept to be understood just as any other rehit of the Khalsa; amritvela, sarbloh bibek etc.

May Guru sahib ji bless us all with His gifts.
Vaheguru!!!!!!!!!
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> 1) Doohra Dastaara (two turbans) - The keski or
> the small turban should be at least so long that
> it can go around our head three times. The
> Dastaara should be at least 5 yards long.

Are these measurements just approximate Bhai Sahib jee or based on something?
I am really glad I found this website... and this topic especially, because I have heard many things about people only wanting others to wear it if they have reached a certain spiritual level, or only if they are a nihung, and so on.... I agree that any one part of khalsa should wear it, because it is a gift, and its part of khalsa's form.
i have not recieved bana yet from guru sahib, so I do not wear it yet, but I know that when I took amrit I totally lost interest in wearing these other clothes you buy at any other stores.. An now I just cant stop wearing blue tongue sticking out smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login