ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How Bhai Sahib was saved from drowning

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
In one of his books Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee writes that in his early days of Gursikhee, one day he and his Singh friends were swimming in a river nearby. While swimming, a very strong thought came to the mind of Bhai Sahib. A strong urge to cross the river straight, came forth. The river current was very fast and to swim it straight without going down the flow is a hard thing to do and I can tell from my personal experience, that to swim straight from one end to the other end, in rivers or canals is a hard thing to do.

Bhai Sahib started swimming straight, but when he reached the middle of the river, he sensed that he had lost all his energy. He was unable to move his arms and legs. He felt that he was going to drown. Instead of panicking, Bhai Sahib quickly immersed in chanting of Naam with full concentration. In the times of crisis, he always engaged himself in Naam. He must have chanted naam only for a few moments when he heard a voice from inside suggesting as to why had he learned puthee taaree (swimming on the back). As soon as he heard this, he lied down flat on the water. Those of you who can swim, know that when doing puthee taaree, not much movement of arms and legs is required. The body just floats on water. Bhai Sahib did that for some time and engaged in Naam. Soon he was rejuvenated and he swam across the river.

This saakhee proves that if we call out Vaheguru, he does listen. Did he not listen to Dropadi who was being stripped naked? He came to her rescue and no one was able to strip her naked. The clothes just did not finish (KAPAR KOT USAARYEEYAN). Gurbani mentions this incident as follows:

ਫੁਨਿ ਦ੍ਰੋਪਤੀ ਲਾਜ ਰਖੀ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਜੀ ਛੀਨਤ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਦੀਨ ਬਹੁ ਸਾਜ ॥
(And, then you (O Guru Raamdaas jee) kept the honour of Dropadi, when her clothes were being removed but you gave her more).

and

ਪੰਚਾਲੀ ਕਉ ਰਾਜ ਸਭਾ ਮਹਿ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਸੁਧਿ ਆਈ ॥
ਤਾ ਕੋ ਦੂਖੁ ਹਰਿਓ ਕਰੁਣਾ ਮੈ ਅਪਨੀ ਪੈਜ ਬਢਾਈ ॥1॥

(Panchali at the royal court got realization of Raam's Naam. The merciful one removed her sorrow and this way his enhanced his fame of keeping honour.)

If he listened to Dropadi, Sudhaama, and countless other Bhagats, he would certainly listen to us too but what is required is to do ardaas from the bottom of our hearts.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Bhai Sahib,

Thanks for sharing this wonderful sakhi.

Just a random question - what are we supposed to do with our Sri Sahib while swimming? I wonder what Bhai Sahib used to do.
Umkeo Heo jeeo,

Just a random question - what are we supposed to do with our Sri Sahib while swimming? I wonder what Bhai Sahib used to do.

Very good question. I am not sure what Singhs used to do with Siri Sahib when swimming in rivers. Two thoughts come to mind: they used to tie it on their Dastaar or Keski; or they used to keep a Siri Sahib just for this purpose and even if it got wet, it was fine.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login