ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ranglay Sajjan 3: The Golden Bhai Sarvan Singh Ji

Posted by Amritvela 
Continuing from Chapter 02: Khanjar Waliye: Saint-like Mahant Sunder Singh ji [gurmatbibek.com]

Chapter 01: Baba Prem Singh ji and Mata Prem Kaur ji can be found here: [gurmatbibek.com]

Chapter 03: The Golden Bhai Sarwan Singh Ji

Though Bhai Sarwan Singh was of dark complexion, yet his Nam-imbued glowing face would radiate golden hue always. That is how I came to name him
"The Golden Bhai Sarwan Singh". He is other than Bhai Sarwan Singh of village Phalewal , whose original whereabouts are unknown. It is as if he appeared suddenly from nowhere to join Jatha just before my imprisonment. Soon after he got baptized and attained the sublime spirituality instantly. He knew nothing of the Gurmukhi script nor could recite a single Gurbani Shabad from memory. He was totally illiterate and yet, like it is said in Gurbani:

"The mortal who contemplates of the Lord,
attains spirituality sublime whether literate of illiterate"

He had access to great depths of Gurmat awareness. He was verily the personification of service. He was in his early youth without any signs of beard. He remained engrossed in service day and night. He was gifted in Nam-Simran, reciting Nam with every breath endlessly. During Akhand Pathh and Akhand Kirtan Samagams he offered for all kinds of service, selfless service. He would prepare langar for the entire congregation, no matter how large the numbers. He served all with his own hands in every way, including cleaning of utensils (that he would not share with anyone). He would keep the iron utensils of Sarb Loh in shining state of cleanliness. He would carry the sack of utensils on his head to every Samagam. He would sling over the shoulders the musical instruments of harmonium and tabla and yet carry more on his shoulders. In short, he tried to carry almost everything as far as possible. In accordance with his humble request langar was kept adjacent to the Akhand Pahth recitation. He was very keen on both listening to Akhand Pathhs and serving in the langar.

This kept on for years and his high spiritual state and access to the sublime, remained secret except for the few close associates. His selfless continuous service with extreme humility bore the fruit on its own of deeply steeped love of Nam-Divine, surpassing even the accomplished ascetic spiritualists. He started envisioning the invisible and futuristic events. At all times whether sitting, standing or walking, he was engrossed in the practice of Nam-Simran. He never would showoff nor would anyone praise him and nor did he seek it. He would make provisions for bathing of all Singhs at 2.00A.M and then take bath himself. Sitting aloof in a cover and unknown to others, he would listen to Nitnem recitation along with Nam-Simran practice. This was his routine. I never saw him sleeping, nor in any undesirable company. He was always in the midst of holy Sangat. His only occupation was Nam and Seva. During Akhand Pathh Samagams he remained in langar through out the Sewa. His body thus remained engaged in service in Langar and consciously he would listen to Akhand Pathh. After the service, he would sit among the listeners of Akand Path in a most inconspicuous way. He generally appeared to be a carefree and impulsive Sikh. Jewellers alone know the worth of jewels and precious stones. Everybody is not given to such an awareness. His selfless service enabled him to soar in spirit and finally brought him the occult powers. However he never prided in his occult powers nor anyone knew about this. Even I remained unaware of these secrets.

Accidently this secret was revealed one day. The Jatha made preparations to proceed to a village via Nabha to join Akhand Pathh Samagam at the house of a Gurmukh. It was the summer period of May-June. The Golden Vir, Bhai Sarwan Singh was also among the Jatha. While I was tying turban, he sat on a cot and started dozing. He used to sleep briefly even while walking. In a brief period of 5 to 10 minutes, he got up with a start uttering "WAHEGURU, WAHEGURU". Noticing anxiety and worry on his face, I asked him whether he had seen any queer event in dream. He innocently replied, "What to say Sir! I saw that Akhand Pathh is being recited at a place and I am serving in the langar. Meantime a Pathhi is heading for the langar. I reckoned it to be you. On the way a dog bit his leg. Such was the wound the blood streamed with great flow. I hit the dog with a piece of wood to stop his bite. Seeing this horror I woke up. I felt as if this was a real happening". Soon after we started on our way. The entire Jatha went walking. The village was at about 10 miles from Nabha. Soon after reaching the village, we started preparing for the Akhand Pathh. There was Akhand Kirtan during the early ambrosial hours and the Pathh commenced after that. I started reciting Pathh. When I was relieved by another Pathhi, I was asked to partake something from the langar. I was still under the intoxicating influence of Gurbani. With half-closed eyes enjoying contemplation of Nam, I was walking wearing wooden sandals. Just close to the langar was a pillar and behind that was sitting a dog. I was unaware of the dog and accidently stepped on his forepaw. The dog caught my ankle in his jaws. So severe was the bite that blood came out in stream. Bhai Sarwan Singh was preparing the langar and sitting near hearth. He got up and hit the dog with a piece of wood to free me from (the dog) him. Strangely I never felt any pain and despite the blood flowing, I was shouting happily, ?Singh?s dream has come true. How Wonderful ! What a fulfillment of the forecast event!!?. I was remembering Bhai Sarwan Singh?s narration of the queer event and so I burst out with his secret. However Bhai Sarwan Singh had forgotten all about it. I was asked by Singhs of the Jatha about the dream and what was the astonishing fulfillment. I replied that there was nothing to describe here. It warranted privacy. The Singhs took me for bandage of the wound and now that we were away from the scene, they insisted on the information. In the absence of Bhai Sarwan Singh I explained about his envisioning the event in detail just as it occurred in reality. I also stressed not to discuss this with the Golden Vir, so that he enjoys his innocence in obscurity and away from public glare. It caught wind and everybody in the Jatha came to know of it. Suddenly there was a new respect for him in all hearts, yet none mentioned about his occult power and envisioning the event in advance. This is the uniqueness of the House of Guru that people enjoying sublime state of spirituality, envisioning the invisible, are able to control the uncontrollable power. This comes naturally to the Gursikhs, who make no show of it nor bloat with ego. Seeing the carefree and enthusiastic Vir Sarwan Singh, dedicated to Nam and service, none could imagine his high spirituality. The ease of equipoise is seen only among the free and humble Gurmukh Sikhs of the Guru. It is enough to demonstrate this event pertaining to this Vir. Who can fathom the hidden secrets of the inconspicuous spiritual beings.

After sometime I was whisked away to the jail, leaving behind such beloveds of the Guru. I never know where all they got scattered and where did the Golden Bhai Sarwan Singh go! I have a feeling that he must have left for Abode-Divine or else he would certainly have come to see me. I know nothing from where he had come. I am left with his narrated memory. So here I end it!

Rangle Sajjan - The imbued ones
Translated by: Bh. Jaspinder Singh Jee
Bhai Sahib Bhai Randheer Singh Jee
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Some key and inspiring facts from the above account:

1. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji was of dark complexion. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji was always imbued deeply in Naam and would glow of Naam. He always had a radiated golden hue and thus, Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh ji came to name him "Sarvarn Rangi Bhai Sarvan Singh".

2. It is not known where Bhai Sarvan Singh ji was from. This Bhai Sarvan Singh ji is not to be mistaken with the Bhai Sarvan Singh ji of Phalewal who comes later in Chapter 19.

3. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji appeared suddenly out of nowhere and joined the Jatha before Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh ji's imprisonment.

4. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji became Amritdhari at an Amrit Sinchaar organized by the Jatha and upon receiving Amrit, Bhai Sarvan Singh ji attained sublime spirituality instantly.

5. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji was also illiterate as Baba Raam Singh ji and Mata Prem Kaur ji in the first Chapter of Ranglay Sajjan. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji was totally illiterate but yet Bhai Sarvan Singh ji was most aware of Gurmat.

6. Young Bhai Sarvan Singh ji yet had no signs of beard.

7. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji was always engrossed in Seva day and night. He was never seen not doing Seva.

8. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji was truly gifted with Naam Abhiyaas. He recited Naam with every breath tirelessly.

9. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji always offered all his selfless Seva during Akhand Paath Sahib and Akhand Kirtan smagams.

10. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji would prepare langar for the entire sangat regardless of the size of sangat.

11. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji's hands became the hands of Seva. They were used for nothing but Seva of Guru Sahib and Sangat. He served with his hands in every way possible.

12. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji cleaned Sarbloh utensils tirelessly and never let anyone else take the seva of cleaning Sarbloh utensils in his presence.

13. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji kept Sarbloh utensils in immaculately clean shinny condition.

14. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji would carry Sarbloh utensils ontop of his head to every smagam along with joRhi and Vaaja on his shoulders and anything else that needed to be carried leaving nothing for anyone else to carry. Vaaheguru!

15. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji had no other wish but that the Langar bhandal was kept adjacent to the Akhand Paath Sahib mandal so that he could stay attuned in Gurbani whilst doing seva in Langar selflessly. Vaaheguru!

16. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji's avastha was kept secret for years with only a few close one's knowing. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji's avastha was such that no other spiritualists came even close.

17. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji's avastha bought Bhai Sarvan Singh ji to see the invisible and futuristic events.

18. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji was always deeply engrossed in Naam abhiyaas whilst sitting, standing or walking.

19. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji unlike many of us empty vessels today, never showed off or invitied attention or self praise.

20. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji would arrange water for Singhs to do Gurmat Ishnaan at 2am every morning and then do ishnaan himself.

21. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji would sit hidden whilst engaged in Naam Abhiyaas listening to Nitnem. This was Bhai Sarvan Singh ji's routine.

22. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh ji writes that Bhai Sarvan Singh ji was never seen sleeping or in fruitless company. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji could only be found in Sangat of Sant Jans.

23. Naam Abhiyaas and seva had become the only occupation of Bhai Sarvan Singh ji.

24. After performing in seva, Bhai Sarvan Singh ji would be found sittng listening to Akhand Paath Sahib in a 'inconspicous way'.

25. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji was carefree and did not care for anything worldly.

26. Selfless seva bought occult powers to Bhai Sarvan Singh ji. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji did not care for these nor take pride in having them. Neither did Bhai Sarvan Singh ji tell anyone about having them.

27. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh ji writes that Bhai Sarvan Singh ji used to only sleep briefly. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji could lightly sleep even whilst walking.

28. During a brief sleep, Bhai Sarvan Singh ji dreamed of a happening involving Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh ji at an Akhand Paath Sahib smagam they were attending. This dream soon became a reality as written in this Chapter.

29. Bhai Sarvan Singh ji was so great that Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh ji writes that the greatness of Bhai Sarvan Singh ji can only be known to Guru Sahib.

30. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh ji was later imprisoned and thus was parted from Ranglay Sajjan Bhai Sarvan Singh ji. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh ji never met Bhai Sarvan Singh ji again and Bhai Sahib writes that most likely, Bhai Sarvan Singh ji left for Gur-Puri. The whereabouts of Bhai Sarvan Singh ji's coming was still a mystery to Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh ji.

May Sachay Patsha ji bless as all with even a fraction of the love, ability and selflessness blessed to Bhai Sarvan Singh ji to serve sangat tirelessly and to engage in Naam Abhiyaas whilst doing so.

Please do point out any errors in any points written above based on the english translation.

Bhull chukk maaf karni ji.
What an amazing Sewa Amritvela jeeo. Thanks for summarizing key points of Gurmat from the eternal story of Bhai Sarvan Singh jee Savarnrangi.

This Singh jee was very high in Avastha and was equally adept in hiding his high spiritual Avastha. Reading Bhai Sarvan Singh jee's life reminds us of Vaars of Bhai Gurdaas jee, that contain praises and attributes of Gurmukhs particularly that Gursikhs are wise from inside and are Bholay from outside and that they are strong from inside and humble outwardly. Dhan Guru Pyare!

Kulbir Singh
cdrcusudrkbconfused smileyjavascript:editor_tools_handle_smiley_selectmfks
Amazing seva Amritvela jee, may guru sahib give you kirpa to summarise all the chapters in rangaley Sajan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login