ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reading paath really fast.

Posted by BalihaareeGurApne 
Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa, Waheguru jee kee Fateh,

Dear sangat jeeo,

I read my nitnem and other Baniaa really fast, sometimes it is so fast that I can complete panj bania in 27-30 minutes and Sukhmani Sahib in 40-45 minutes. If I read paath slow and in saihaj I get frustrated and vedry impatient and I automatically start reading faster and faster. I know alot of Gursikhs will say paath should be read with piyaar, saihaj and average speed so that you can vichaar the naambani, but I only enjoy it fast. I must admit that some times it does feel like I am making a dogs dinner out of nitnem and my main objective is to finish nitnem as fast as possible and move on. But other times I am still reading 100 miles per hour, but experience great enjoyment piyaar with nitnem and other baniaa.

When me and my singhnee visited Amritsar in 2001, we attended the amritvela programme with Bhai Sahib Surat Singh (Pooran Daar) and sangat. On completion of abhiyaas we found that nitnem and Sukhmani Sahib was so, so fast that it was barely comprehendible and not really siutable for visitors such as myself. We have been told by some Gursikhs that Bhai Sahibs avastha was very high and that he could comprehend and vichaar with love and rass every word of paath that was being read even it was extremely fast, I don't think that is the case me.

Many Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

I read my nitnem and other Baniaa really fast, sometimes it is so fast that I can complete panj bania in 27-30 minutes and Sukhmani Sahib in 40-45 minutes. If I read paath slow and in saihaj I get frustrated and vedry impatient and I automatically start reading faster and faster. I know alot of Gursikhs will say paath should be read with piyaar, saihaj and average speed so that you can vichaar the naambani, but I only enjoy it fast. I must admit that some times it does feel like I am making a dogs dinner out of nitnem and my main objective is to finish nitnem as fast as possible and move on. But other times I am still reading 100 miles per hour, but experience great enjoyment piyaar with nitnem and other baniaa.

First of all, doing Nitnem in 27-30 minutes and Siri Sukhmani Sahib in 40-45 minutes is not too fast. There are Gursikhs who normally do Paath in half the speed you mentioned and some may be even faster. As mentioned before, Bhai Atma Singh jee Panjokhra Sahib used to get up around 1:30 am or so and as soon as he used to wake up, Siri Sukhmani Sahib used to start within him, like a tape recorder and in 16 minutes his Siri Sukhmani Sahib used to get completed and this was even before doing Ishnaan. How many Paaths he did throughout the day, is beyond our imagination.

Doing Paath with love does not mean that you have to do Paath slowly. Love can be present there in both fast and slow Paaths and same holds true for Vichaar. As one's Surthee gets Balvaan (strong), one can comprehend and contemplate on Gurbani Paath, even when it's done fast. As the matter of fact, with Balvaan Surthee alone, one can do Paath at the speed mentioned above in Bhai Atma Singh jee's case.

The moral of the Vichaar is that one should do Paath in such way that one can derive Anand and Vichaar from it. It does not matter if it is slow or fast; love, vichaar and Anand should be present. Gurbani Paath, when done correctly, immediately initiates automatic and effortless Naam Abhyaas within.

Kulbir Singh
Thank you Kulbir Singh jee,

Your reply has really helped me.
Re: Reading paath really fast.
January 21, 2011 08:18AM
16 Minutes! Wow. I know a Singh who can do it in 30 Minutes and for sure you cannot comprehend many words. I thought that was quick, but in Surtee will obviously be quicker, but not easy to master. Since a previous post by Kulbir Singh I have tried short banian with this method and I get side tracked I would say less than reading out loud, even less if trying to repeat waheguru at the same time.
January 21, 2011 02:36PM
I know an awsome singh that has learned from bhindra and he can do jaap sahib in about 2 minutes
waheguru!! jaap sahib in 2 minutes i can't even do jaap sahib in 30 minutes!

waheguru!! jaap sahib in 2 minutes i can't even do jaap sahib in 30 minutes!

Jaap Sahib Baani can easily be completed within 10-15 mins. Depends on speed, Avastha, concentration. Naam helps a lot. Same with other Baanis, as Avastha builds, so does concentration, so does getting more Russ from Baani/Naam.
Amritvela is very necessary in this.

Waheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguroo Ji Ki Fatheh!!!!
hajee!! i agree
but i don't like doing path that fast
because then i miss pronounce some
of the words easily!!!....and i am still putting
more effort in to it!

--
preetkhalsa
January 24, 2011 11:03PM
I need help waking up at Amrit Vela. The importance of Amritvela is really stressed in this website and other gurmat books. I really want to wake up. I've tried Ardaas and putting my alarm clock far away...
Have you tried sleeping very early?
January 25, 2011 07:27AM
Amritvela is by Guru Sahib's Kirpa --- JIS BHAVE TIS DEYIIIII

As humans , we can try few of these

1) Dedicated Ardas before sleeping for Guru Sahib's Bakshish
2) Eat less tonight and eat well 2 hrs before going to bed
3) Drink lot of water
4) Bring the old style alarms that rang --GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR and keep it away from your reach (probably near washroom if it would be audible from there)
5) Try and find some one near your house who does Amritvela or is willing and try to get together for first few days
6) Try to fix some PAATHs on failures (like if you getup after 4am - 2 Japji Sahibs etc, if after 5 pm - 5 Japji Sahibs and so on)

But for sure if you are willing to do Amritvela he will do Kirpa soon.

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
As mentioned by Gursewak jee, Amritvela is a Daat of Guru Sahib but by the same token it is a Hukam of Guru Sahib that we ought to obey.

Without Amritvela, one can never achieve the goal of human life - meeting Vaheguru. Doing Sangat of Gursikhs is very important to stay inspired and to get positive Gurmukhi fear, that enables one to get up at Amritvela. It's a good idea to do Amritvela in Sangat of Gursikhs because firstly, Naam Abhyaas is more rewarding in Sangat, secondly, the positive fear of Gursikhs, prompts one to get up at Amritvela.

Sleeping early is important for good Amritvela session. If one sleeps at 11pm, one should not expect to get up at 1:30am easily but if one sleeps around 8pm, it becomes easier to get up early, plus one gets better concentration at Amritvela, if one has slept around 5 hours before getting up.

Keep doing Ardaas.

Kulbir Singh
February 03, 2011 07:34PM
VJKK VJKF

I disagree entirely where we just easily accept in reading Gurbani FAST.-- and my deepest feelings tell this is very very wrong - the reason
because of the presence of protocol in Gurbani which is the || after each line-- what does that mean - STOP and REFLECT.
How can rass be attained if one just wizzes fast in Gurbani, isn't one disobeying the protocol PRESENT when we SEE the || in gurbani in
it's written form??? Secondly -- sixth Guru Maharaj requested a sikh to paath of JapJi Sahib shudd -- how do you think he did it ?-- even though
Bhai Gopala failed -- what was learning for us out of it?.. Think seriously here 150 years into Sikhism from Guru Nanak Dev Jee, sixth Guru maharaj portrays the ultimate lesson. Where in SIKH history -- around Guru sahibhan's times is it OK to read fast..??..

Protocol of || after each line in Gurbani is CRYSTAL clear we should pause. -- Just try it for 20-40 days and you will even notice changes within yourself due to high concentration maintained by doing paath this way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login