ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Guru Sahib's jobs

Posted by msinghh 
Guru Sahib's jobs
February 05, 2010 07:39AM
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ

i was wondering if anybody could tell me what jobs our past Guru Sahib's done to make their living. i know Guru Nanak Dev Ji was a farmer but what about the rest of the Guru Sahib's??
thank you

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Guru Sahib's jobs
February 05, 2010 07:57AM
We know that Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee worked as an accountant / record keeper at Sultanpur Lodhi, prior to going for Udaasis. Later on Siri Guru jee took on farming at Siri Kartarpur Sahib.

Siri Guru Angad Dev jee and Siri Guru Amardas jee too were doing jobs and business prior to becoming Guru Sahib. Siri Guru Raamdaas jee used to sell candies before coming to Gurughar. But Siri Guru Arjun Dev jee onwards, our Guru Sahibaan did spiritual work fulltime. There was just no time to do jobs. One reason is that pretty much all Gurus after Siri Guru Raamdaas Sahib jee, except for Siri Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib, became Gurus at early age and had no time to do any other profession. Siri Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib did extensive parchaar in UP, Bihar, Assam and Bengal prior to becoming Guru Sahib.

Kulbir Singh
February 05, 2010 08:26AM
sorry im bit confused
so once they became Guru's was food and clothign, homes etc all just there? or was it donated to them?
bhull chuk maaf
February 05, 2010 11:21AM

sorry im bit confused
so once they became Guru's was food and clothign, homes etc all just there? or was it donated to them?
bhull chuk maaf

Veer Msinghh, who can donate anything to the Guru? The offerings that we make before Guru Sahib are all given to us by Guru Sahib.

Guru Sahib is king of kings. Where do the worldly emperors get their money from? Through taxes they levy on the people and in return, these emperors give them security and comforts. Same way, the true Kings - Guru Sahiban - too had Daswandh levied on Sikhs and this Daswandh was used for the welfare of the sangat. Our Guru Sahiban built many new cities e.g. Siri Amritsar Sahib, Siri Tarn Taran Sahib, Siri Govindwal Sahib, Siri Kartarpur Sahib, Siri Khadoor Sahib, Siri Kiratpur Sahib, Siri Hargobindpur, Siri Anandpur Sahib etc. Great works of service were done during this time. All this was done through Daswandh and offerings made by Sikh sangat.

Kulbir Singh
February 05, 2010 07:45PM
Ahhhh! Guru Sahib worked as Accoutant and Record Keeper. And the profession becomes blessed thus. Those ENTRIES in the books; were they ever made.-------------? But Guru Sahib did weigh out grains with the balance. TERA TERA TERA was known thus. Is it not the job of Sales Person or Store Keeper or Cashier as well. All in one? Kulbir Singh Veer Ji, to guide pl.

Do we have other equivalents than Candies; for the word GHUNGHUNIAN; Boiled Gram Grains/Seeds.-----------------

Spiritual Work Full time? Sounds as if for Others it was Part time. Interesting english language!

It seems more research needs to be done historically; for each Guru Sahib individually. Did Guru Sahibaan live on the pattern of a Guru Ghar; big enough to accomodate all the Gursikhs, who used to visit Guru Sahib like a Gurdwara or house to accomodate his family only? And then we have the evidences of LANGAR DAULAT WANDEAE RASS AMRIT KHIR GHIALI and Langar Sewa by Mata Khivi Ji. GURUDWARA GURU KE MAHAL in Amritsar, residence for the family of Guru Arjan Dev Sahib Ji was a small house type structure. Were there Gursikhs around always for attending personal family needs? Was that a BIG GURSIKH FAMILY always, generally or sometimes? Imagine HARMINDER SAHIB under construction and Langars being prepared for the Gursikhs. A big common kitchen? Some food being sent for Guru ke Mahal ? Or there was a separate small kitchen?

And then Guru Teg Bahadur Sahib; living at Baba Bakala; in isolation for 22 years. Who managed kitchen and other needs? Source of regular income?

Guru himself knows or may be we have some scattered hints or evidences to pick up.

Bhul Chuk Maaf Hove Ji.
February 05, 2010 07:57PM
Thank you Veer MB Singh jeeo for pointing out the deficiencies in this daas' post. Yes I wanted to write that Siri Guru Raamdaas Sahib jee used to sell Ghungniyaan but could not find an English equivalent, so I wrote candies instead. My apoligies if it was misleading.

This is a very interesting topic and a lot more research needs to be done in this field.

Kulbir Singh
February 06, 2010 05:58PM
exactly alot more research should be done, i thpuht of this subject as i was chatting wiht my dad and we were jus talking in general as he runs a hotel, i personally try and avoid it as much as possible due to obvious reasons. but then it occured that how are we supposed to know what to do and if it is right or not if i dont even know what my Guru's done.
thansk for above posts Singho.
February 07, 2010 07:05AM
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Msinghh ji,

ਗੁਰਿ ਕਹਿਆ ਸਾ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਵਹੁ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਕਰਣੀ ਕਾਹੇ ਧਾਵਹੁ ॥
Do those deeds which the Guru has ordained. Why are you chasing after the Guru's actions ?

Source: [www.srigranth.org]

Sikhs should follow the command of Satguru and not copy actions. This way we can receive Guru Sahib jeeo's grace and blessings.

As per Gurmat, Sikhs must earn a honest living irrespective of occupation.

To achieve this, a person must have contentedness and must kill greed.

It is very difficult to resist temptations in life but one must try his/her best.

Now If you want to do something different from your father than you need figure out
1.what you WANT to do
2.what you are TRAINED or SKILLED to do
3.what AMOUNT of INCOME will support your current or future lifestyle
4.what you would be WILLING to do

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
February 07, 2010 04:06PM
msinghh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> exactly alot more research should be done, i
> thpuht of this subject as i was chatting wiht my
> dad and we were jus talking in general as he runs
> a hotel, i personally try and avoid it as much as
> possible due to obvious reasons. but then it
> occured that how are we supposed to know what to
> do and if it is right or not if i dont even know
> what my Guru's done.
> thansk for above posts Singho.

Bhai Sahib according to Rehatnamey by Bhai Desa Singh Ji we are not suppose to do any type of work that goes against the teachings of Guru Sahib, and we should work for the purpose of religion.

My understanding is that we cannot work certain jobs like being a butcher, barber, bartender, etc.

Working for the purpose of religion could mean giving part of your income for the propagation of Dharma. Personally I believe working for the purpose of religion means working for Guru Sahib on Guru Sahibs land. But for those of us living in the West I believe we can fullfill this commitment by sharing earned income for the purpose of Dharma and Guru Sahibs Raj
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login