ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Type of kirpan to do Bhog

Posted by Singh. 
Type of kirpan to do Bhog
February 03, 2010 10:11AM
I have learnt from elder Singhs that Bhog of Degh or Langar should only take place with a Sarbloh kirpan that is 1 piece only (i.e. Taksali kirpan style) and not with those with an added handle (should be like taksali style - only one joint). This, apparantly, is the Puratan Maryada of kirpan bheytaa to Karaah Parshaad told to me by a very old CK Sarblohia Singh associated with the Jatha for many decades.

Can someone please shed some light on the reasoning behind this maryada?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Type of kirpan to do Bhog
February 03, 2010 10:31AM

I have learnt from elder Singhs that Bhog of Degh or Langar should only take place with a Sarbloh kirpan that is 1 piece only (i.e. Taksali kirpan style) and not with those with an added handle (should be like taksali style - only one joint). This, apparantly, is the Puratan Maryada of kirpan bheytaa to Karaah Parshaad told to me by a very old CK Sarblohia Singh associated with the Jatha for many decades.

Following is what comes to mind reading this:

1) It is our tradition to have Sarblohi kirpan as one piece, with the handle too of Sarbloh, as opposed to be of wood or other material. Deviation from tradition is seldom a good idea.

2) When doing Bhog, pure Sarbloh has to be used for flow of spiritual energy. Sarbloh is said to be the best conductor of spiritual energy. So only pure Sarbloh should be used for Bhog purpose. The taanka or the joint many times is not used of Sarbloh but that of copper or other material. This causes the sword to be not of pure Sarbloh. So it is desirable to use one piece as Kirpan.

Kulbir Singh
February 03, 2010 11:07AM
i have a somewhat related question.

everyone is in agreement that the kirpaan should be of sarabloh.

but what about other shastars that we wear in addition to our kirpaan? are other puratan materials (damascus steel, wootz, etc) also acceptable?
February 03, 2010 11:53AM
I believe Damascus Steel or Wootz are forms of Sarbloh and their weapons would be acceptable to wear. Damascus Steel is the ultimate Sarbloh that was used to make tough swords. Now a days, this form of Sarbloh is no longer available.

Kulbir Singh
The strongest type of iron is marble cutting iron in india its called fulad loha. Its folded many times so the iron is super strong and is extremly sharp and strong.
February 03, 2010 05:50PM
Isn't Faulaad and Damascus Steel, one and the same thing? Faulaad is the Persian term for it.

Kulbir Singh
February 03, 2010 06:07PM
i think faulad is the same as wootz, but i could be wrong.

there's a pillar at qutb minar in delhi that's made of faulad, it was made 3000 years ago and never rusted. pretty amazing material.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login